Adopting an Adult Dog

I would like information, on a Shih tzu dog, 5 years of age. A lady that has to move to another state is giving him to me in a week. Will this dog take to me, being that he has been with this family for 5 years? Thanks for any info.

By cddavis.2006 from Sharpsburg, GA

Most dogs will; it may just take some time. My mother takes in animals like that. She has an old rat terrier from a neighbor that died recently, the poor pup was 12yrs old, and got used to her quick! He treats her now just like he always lived with her. She said he would pace and look for the original owner, and she always made sure that the only time he was outside, was in the fence, where he couldn't leave. It just takes time and patience on your part. Hoping it works out, and that you will have a loving new friend soon!

Thank you so much, I feel much more secure, and better about this. I really appreciate the feedback. God bless.

Fatboyslimsmom hit the nail on the head with what she wrote. You shouldn't have any problem with the dog acceptiing you. The first few months or (if you're lucky) weeks the main problem you'll have is he'll miss is other family. But with love and patience and understanding, which I get the feeling you are overflowing with, you'll both do fine.

Just be sure and not let him outside without a fence or a leash. And even in a fence for a couple of weeks I'd be out there with him so be sure he doesn't try to dig or climb his way out. Or squeeze out around the gate. But with a 5 yr old Shih tzu you've got many years coming of love and devotion on both your parts.

Lucky you! Shitzus are very nice dogs. I would love to have another. I adopted one and he was a love, but my son's girlfriend fell in love with "Butch" (and he with her) that I finally gave him up to her. Anyway, lots of treats, patience and time. He will mourn, but you can win him over.

Golden Retriever on Black Background
Adopting an Adult Dog
Pets AdoptingAugust 7, 2009
Cat in a cage at the Humane Society.
Adopting a Cat
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
African baby in a t-shirt.
Adopting a Child from a Foreign Country
Woman with Adopted Dog
Adopting a Pet