Adopting a Pet

Category Adopting
Woman with Adopted Dog
Before taking on the responsibility of domestic animal, it is important to know that you have adequate space, resources and time for your pet. This is a guide about adopting a pet.

Besides your local animal shelter, Craigslist is also a wonderful way to find a new pet! There are so many people who can no longer keep their cherished pets, for one reason or another, but want to know they truly did find them a good home, rather than taking them to a shelter and always wondering if they even made it to a new home at all!

One thing to keep in mind, no matter where you seek to find a pet, is to hold your heart open about adopting an older pet instead of having your mind set to only adopt a youngster! Older pets are already trained, many have already been spayed or neutered, most already have their vaccinations, and their owners can tell you all about their history and personality.

One more benefit is that their current parents will give often give you their pet's food, dishes, toys, leashes, bed, medical records, etc. to you, which will save you a lot of money and for your new pet. It will also be a blessing to have his/her familiar items with them to help reduce the trauma of adjusting to a new home!

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Editor's Note: According to Craigslist's rules, selling pets on the site is prohibited, arranging adoptions is OK.

"Household pets of any kind including dogs, cats, primates, cage birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, fish. Re-homing with small adoption fee OK."

I strongly recommend that anyone who is wanting to add a kitten or cat to their life, do so by adopting one from a shelter or rescue organization. I have done this often and have found the following tips helpful when bringing home a cat or kitten from a shelter.

A young tortiseshell kitten playing with a toy.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

When adopting a pet from the humane society, ask as many questions as possible, the animal's history, where it came from, etc.

Jake with info.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

2 of our 3 Boston Terriers are rescue dogs. The one on Freecycle was on a short leash and left in a plastic barrel outside. They are the most amazing animals. Our third Boston Terrier came from a female Boston Terrier, who died during birth.

3 black and white Boston Terriers on the lawn

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 9

When bringing a rescued pet into your home be very aware of the subtle and sometimes not so subtle hints they give you. Our rescued Golden, Maggie was very fearful of loud noises, such as, thunder, firecrackers, shotguns, pans falling out of the cabinet, etc.

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

Adopting a pet from an animal shelter or rescue group isn't as easy as going into the food store and picking out a new flavor of ice cream. Things are a little more complicated than that!

puppies awaiting adoption at shelter

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

While I have adopted great dogs from the animal shelter, many are released to the pound because they have severe behavior problems and are completely untrained. This is fine if you have time to work with a dog with behavior problems...

Picture of Mason.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 6

Catherine Forman1 found this helpful

So you'd like to get a dog, but you're not sure what kind. Purebred? Mutt? There are certain advantages to owning a mixed-breed dog, believe it or not.

Adopting a Mutt mixed breed light brown dog in shopping cart

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

There are many older cats (over 6) at shelters looking for a good home. They are older and wiser, but often free. if you can give a cat a good home don't just look at the kittens!

I see, that once again, I have a foster baby. His name is Elrod. He is is an adorable, incredibly intelligent three month old Pibble. which is short for Pit Bull mix.

When considering pet adoption, consider your local animal shelter or a rescue association of some kind. The animals there are truly in need of a home and the adoption rates are much more reasonable than they are to buy through a breeder or pet store.

My husband and I have been asked to take other people's dogs as our own. It is an honor and for some reason we never have more than three at a time. Age doesn't matter and we are just about up to our three again.

This is Tucker, an adopted ex standard bred pacer racehorse. He's 20 and doing great. Adopting a racehorse is an inexpensive way of getting the use of a well bred and well trained horse! You don't own the horse, you just get to pay for all the expenses and of course, get to enjoy the animal.

Retired Racehorse pulling a carriage.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Tips to consider when adopting a new pet. Post your ideas.

We have adopted three rescued dogs in the last 15 years. The first one taught us a lot. She had been abused and was afraid of everything. She needed lots of patience and tender, loving care.

Small dog standing on lawn.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I am looking for a small dog to bring into our loving home. Anyone know where I could adopt one?

By JLyn09 from Allegany, NY

Answers

Check your local Animal Center. Be sure to take your kids and hubby! I once adopted a dog that didn't like men! So to be safe, ake the whole family and ask ALOT of questions about the dog before you take him home! ie: housebroken, food anxiety, men, temperment etc. They always act a little different in the shelter as they are scared. I always picked animals that walked up to my kids right away and loved on them! You can tell!

Never buy from a pet store (they usually buy from puppy mills) buy frrom a breeder or go to a shelter or the humane society. ALSO, Use care when adopting an animal & be sure to choose one that fits your energy level. That means if you like to run, bike & throw Frisbees than you may want a "high energy" dog, whereas if you are a homebody like I am & don't get out much then be sure to pick a dog with an easygoing & very mellow disposition. Don't pick a dog by how cute they are. Look for they way they act & never choose a pet just because you feel sorry for them because you may end up with more problems than you can handle! Also, look for a shelter where you can take the dog on a walk first before you decide, that way you'll have an idea if it's meant for you & your family. If not, you may end up with problems!

Do your research on different dog breeds, some dogs are know for being stubborn & some like to chase or herd things, hounds make strange noises when they get excited & some dogs (like the cavalier king Charles spaniel are bred to be very mellow). If you know the breed you want, you can sometimes find a no-kill shelter devoted especially to that type of dog, be it dachshunds or pit bulls. Lots of tiny dogs have behavior problems, but it's only because they are spoiled (like children) by the owners. Be sure to give your new dog both love & discipline! The dog won't be happy unless you fulfill their needs. Be sure to take it on walks daily. The backyard isn't enough. If you don't want to walk a dog regularly, then you shouldn't get one. Dogs get bored if they sit around (just like people do!) & start tearing the place apart, etc. Anyway, these are some important things to think about!

Also, Most vet's have bulletin boards & there's lots of people these days that have to move into places where their pets can't come. These owners can tell you lots about their dogs & it's temperament, so think about calling around to vets & asking the receptionist to read you any pets for adoption on their bulletin boards. If you get a pet from someone like this you'll also know if they are good with kids or not & the owner can tell you all about them!

We have a non-profit group in Erie county, PA ( not that far from where you live) that rescues small animals and finds homes for them. Their website is www.becauseyoucare.org They have pictures of the animals available for adoption on their website. Good Luck!

You can see a listing of animals to be adopted on petfinder.com. You put in your zip code and it tells what animals are available for adoption. It is great!

Robyn

petfinder.com

I adopted a beautiful pedigreed long haired dachshund from Dachshund Rescue of North America- www.drna.org . Check out their website and see the many available dogs. If you go to "Dachshunds" then "All Available" then click on "Location" the list will be sorted by state and you can scroll down and see all of the dogs available in your state. Thanks for adopting. They are great to work with!

Petfinder.com, or is it .org? Anyway, the king of great pet adoption sites.

Try your area's craigslist. There you can find dogs and cats for free or a small rehoming fee.

Freecycle.org has lots of animals on it for free. Local rescue groups are great and humane societies or animals control shelters. I don't usually like to buy from a pet store since it propagates puppy mills and all the cruelty involved with those awful places.

Also rescues are so wonderful for the most part they are smarter and better adjusted since they have been through so much. They are always grateful. I just pulled a cat out of a local shelter to let it have it's kittens in peace, so I can rehome them. It looked like a rag mop. We have a cat room so we let it stay in there and play with us in t here, it is like a sun room with lots of toys and stuff cats like. It turned out to be a Maine coone cat.

What a darling. Have fun adopting, there is nothing like adopting a dog or cat from a shelter or fostering one for that matter. Robyn

This is Midnight and Diamond. They were rescued from the shelter. Their names were given to them by their previous owners. Does it matter if I change their names?

trkrsteve

Awww! They are really cute! How old are they? If they are young, I am sure you can. Just talk to them and use the new names as often as possible until they get used to it. I have known people to change the names of animals they have rescued without problems.

No, it shouldn't, I had one named Cleopatra, and I adopted her at 6 months and changed her name to Lupe because she was from Mexico and needed the protection of The Blessed Mother! I think cats listen more to their owner's voice, because I had a special whistle and call for her, it got so that my MIL's birds repeat it, even after she has passed on for two years!

A rose is still a rose by any other name...

I don't think it matters at all, after all nearly every cat/kitten gets its named changed. You don't think so? Consider.. a proud owner calls the new kitty a grand sounding name like my own cat Grania (an Irish name) but she now answers to Bunny, Pie, Pretty girl, Babushka, Minch, 'Well, I guess you get my drift! It's the sound of your voice they get to know, and the way you talk to them.

Gorgeous shiny kitty kats~ How cute~

I'd go with what Katieandjeffy said repeat the names often and they should get it. I always felt it

was giving all a fresh start!

If you haven't already called them lots of different names like cutesypoo and sweetie pie, it would really surprise me. One more name would hardly be any different.

It won't matter. I have three adopted cats and they all got new names. I think they learn that that's what YOU call them! It took a little bit for them to get used to (as with everything else around the house) but they all respond to their new names just fine.

JOAnn

If children can do fine with new names (we adopted two and changed their names) then I don't see why cats can't. I mean sometimes people take in an abandonned animal that probably already had a name and new owner gives a new name.

If you adopted these kitties they may not like their old names anyway because they were given up by those people.

They may have bad feelings about their former people and would enjoy a totally new start.

I would like information, on a Shih tzu dog, 5 years of age. A lady that has to move to another state is giving him to me in a week. Will this dog take to me, being that he has been with this family for 5 years? Thanks for any info.

By cddavis.2006 from Sharpsburg, GA

Most dogs will; it may just take some time. My mother takes in animals like that. She has an old rat terrier from a neighbor that died recently, the poor pup was 12yrs old, and got used to her quick! He treats her now just like he always lived with her. She said he would pace and look for the original owner, and she always made sure that the only time he was outside, was in the fence, where he couldn't leave. It just takes time and patience on your part. Hoping it works out, and that you will have a loving new friend soon!

I came across your site via the ASPCA, while looking for information about the lost pet that I adopted. As part of the records that I received, they said that the dog had surgery at an ASPCA mobile van/truck. Since the previous owners did not want to answer any questions, I was wondering how to find out what kind of surgery the dog had and what its prior medical history was?
Can anyone tell me where to find any information about where in the ASPCA to to call about past history of a pet? As new parents, we are curious as to what the prior medial history is so we can take the proper action, and update my vet on the case. It seems it's very hard to find any telephone number at the ASPCA except to donate money.

Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated

I am going on a missionary trip to Nicaraugra in January and I am looking for ideas for fundraising. Does anyone have any ideas?

By Calvert

I adopted 2 six year old female cats. The previous owner wants to visit them, after a week in my house. Will this unsettle them?

By Sharon

I am adopting a 5-8 yrs old Poodle mix. The owner told me that he is a good dog, but pees sometimes at night. He also bites me when I want him to do something that he doesn't like. I have never owned a dog. Is that normal?

By newdog from Orlando, FL

My kitten Brody is 6 months old now. Whenever it's time to lay on my lap, he curls up and begins to suck on his stomach, begins kneading my leg, and purring very loudly. He does the same thing at night when we go to bed, he'll lay on the pillow above my head and do the same thing except he kneads my head or the pillow. That's the only time he does it, he doesn't do it when he's laying on the chairs by himself and sleeping. So I'm wondering if he was too young when I got him? He was 8 weeks old, and since I've had him I've had him neutered and he's had all his shots. He's very happy and playful, loving and healthy.

By Terry R. from Kent, WA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Scruffy is less than a year and is all American! The little guy just showed up one day three weeks ago.

photo of a small dog

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is our "Dusty Dawg". We rescued him two years ago the afternoon before he would be to be "put down". He was a sad and skinny dog.

Comment Like this photo? Yes