Adopting a Pet

Category Adopting
Before taking on the responsibility of domestic animal, it is important to know that you have adequate space, resources and time for your pet. This is a guide about adopting a pet.

Besides your local animal shelter, Craigslist is also a wonderful way to find a new pet! There are so many people who can no longer keep their cherished pets, for one reason or another, but want to know they truly did find them a good home, rather than taking them to a shelter and always wondering if they even made it to a new home at all!

One thing to keep in mind, no matter where you seek to find a pet, is to hold your heart open about adopting an older pet instead of having your mind set to only adopt a youngster! Older pets are already trained, many have already been spayed or neutered, most already have their vaccinations, and their owners can tell you all about their history and personality.

One more benefit is that their current parents will give often give you their pet's food, dishes, toys, leashes, bed, medical records, etc. to you, which will save you a lot of money and for your new pet. It will also be a blessing to have his/her familiar items with them to help reduce the trauma of adjusting to a new home!

By Ann from Richland, WA

Editor's Note: According to Craigslist's rules, selling pets on the site is prohibited, arranging adoptions is OK.

"Household pets of any kind including dogs, cats, primates, cage birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, fish. Re-homing with small adoption fee OK."

I strongly recommend that anyone who is wanting to add a kitten or cat to their life, do so by adopting one from a shelter or rescue organization. I have done this often and have found the following tips helpful when bringing home a cat or kitten from a shelter.

When adopting a pet from the humane society, ask as many questions as possible, the animal's history, where it came from, etc.

2 of our 3 Boston Terriers are rescue dogs. The one on Freecycle was on a short leash and left in a plastic barrel outside. They are the most amazing animals. Our third Boston Terrier came from a female Boston Terrier, who died during birth.

When bringing a rescued pet into your home be very aware of the subtle and sometimes not so subtle hints they give you. Our rescued Golden, Maggie was very fearful of loud noises, such as, thunder, firecrackers, shotguns, pans falling out of the cabinet, etc.

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

Adopting a pet from an animal shelter or rescue group isn't as easy as going into the food store and picking out a new flavor of ice cream. Things are a little more complicated than that!

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Catherine Forman1 found this helpful

So you'd like to get a dog, but you're not sure what kind. Purebred? Mutt? There are certain advantages to owning a mixed-breed dog, believe it or not.

There are many older cats (over 6) at shelters looking for a good home. They are older and wiser, but often free. if you can give a cat a good home don't just look at the kittens!

I see, that once again, I have a foster baby. His name is Elrod. He is is an adorable, incredibly intelligent three month old Pibble. which is short for Pit Bull mix.

When considering pet adoption, consider your local animal shelter or a rescue association of some kind. The animals there are truly in need of a home and the adoption rates are much more reasonable than they are to buy through a breeder or pet store.

My husband and I have been asked to take other people's dogs as our own. It is an honor and for some reason we never have more than three at a time.

Age doesn't matter and we are just about up to our three again.

This is Tucker, an adopted ex standard bred pacer racehorse. He's 20 and doing great. Adopting a racehorse is an inexpensive way of getting the use of a well bred and well trained horse! You don't own the horse, you just get to pay for all the expenses and of course, get to enjoy the animal.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Tips to consider when adopting a new pet. Post your ideas.

We have adopted three rescued dogs in the last 15 years. The first one taught us a lot. She had been abused and was afraid of everything. She needed lots of patience and tender, loving care.

I am looking for a small dog to bring into our loving home. Anyone know where I could adopt one?

By Jamie from Allegany, NY

Answers

Check your local Animal Center. Be sure to take your kids and hubby! I once adopted a dog that didn't like men! So to be safe, ake the whole family and ask ALOT of questions about the dog before you take him home!

ie: housebroken, food anxiety, men, temperment etc. They always act a little different in the shelter as they are scared. I always picked animals that walked up to my kids right away and loved on them! You can tell!

This is Midnight and Diamond. They were rescued from the shelter. Their names were given to them by their previous owners. Does it matter if I change their names?

trkrsteve

Answers

Awww! They are really cute! How old are they? If they are young, I am sure you can. Just talk to them and use the new names as often as possible until they get used to it.

I have known people to change the names of animals they have rescued without problems.

No, it shouldn't, I had one named Cleopatra, and I adopted her at 6 months and changed her name to Lupe because she was from Mexico and needed the protection of The Blessed Mother! I think cats listen more to their owner's voice, because I had a special whistle and call for her, it got so that my MIL's birds repeat it, even after she has passed on for two years!

By katvn (Guest Post)

A rose is still a rose by any other name...

By Ellie (Guest Post)

I don't think it matters at all, after all nearly every cat/kitten gets its named changed. You don't think so? Consider.. a proud owner calls the new kitty a grand sounding name like my own cat Grania (an Irish name) but she now answers to Bunny, Pie, Pretty girl, Babushka, Minch, 'Well, I guess you get my drift!

It's the sound of your voice they get to know, and the way you talk to them.

Gorgeous shiny kitty kats~ How cute~
I'd go with what Katieandjeffy said repeat the names often and they should get it. I always felt it
was giving all a fresh start!

If you haven't already called them lots of different names like cutesypoo and sweetie pie, it would really surprise me. One more name would hardly be any different.

It won't matter. I have three adopted cats and they all got new names. I think they learn that that's what YOU call them! It took a little bit for them to get used to (as with everything else around the house) but they all respond to their new names just fine.
JOAnn

If children can do fine with new names (we adopted two and changed their names) then I don't see why cats can't. I mean sometimes people take in an abandonned animal that probably already had a name and new owner gives a new name.

By Kathy in colorado (Guest Post)

If you adopted these kitties they may not like their old names anyway because they were given up by those people.
They may have bad feelings about their former people and would enjoy a totally new start.

I would like information, on a Shih tzu dog, 5 years of age. A lady that has to move to another state is giving him to me in a week. Will this dog take to me, being that he has been with this family for 5 years? Thanks for any info.

By Darlene from Sharpsburg, GA

I came across your site via the ASPCA, while looking for information about the lost pet that I adopted. As part of the records that I received, they said that the dog had surgery at an ASPCA mobile van/truck. Since the previous owners did not want to answer any questions, I was wondering how to find out what kind of surgery the dog had and what its prior medical history was?
Can anyone tell me where to find any information about where in the ASPCA to to call about past history of a pet? As new parents, we are curious as to what the prior medial history is so we can take the proper action, and update my vet on the case. It seems it's very hard to find any telephone number at the ASPCA except to donate money.

Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated

I am going on a missionary trip to Nicaraugra in January and I am looking for ideas for fundraising. Does anyone have any ideas?

By Calvert

I adopted 2 six year old female cats. The previous owner wants to visit them, after a week in my house. Will this unsettle them?

By Sharon

I am adopting a 5-8 yrs old Poodle mix. The owner told me that he is a good dog, but pees sometimes at night. He also bites me when I want him to do something that he doesn't like. I have never owned a dog. Is that normal?

By newdog from Orlando, FL

My kitten Brody is 6 months old now. Whenever it's time to lay on my lap, he curls up and begins to suck on his stomach, begins kneading my leg, and purring very loudly. He does the same thing at night when we go to bed, he'll lay on the pillow above my head and do the same thing except he kneads my head or the pillow. That's the only time he does it, he doesn't do it when he's laying on the chairs by himself and sleeping. So I'm wondering if he was too young when I got him? He was 8 weeks old, and since I've had him I've had him neutered and he's had all his shots. He's very happy and playful, loving and healthy.

By Terry R. from Kent, WA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Scruffy is less than a year and is all American! The little guy just showed up one day three weeks ago.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes
Load More