Dye from Jeans Transferred to Other Clothing in Wash

My fiance never separates the darks with the colors. It makes me so mad. Last night he washed my brand new dark pair of jeans with his brand new t-shirts. One is purple and the other is yellow. After taking them out of the dryer and folding them I saw that there are many blue spots all over them, making it look so dirty.

I asked my mother and his father if there was anything I could do to get the stains out of his shirts and they both told me there was nothing I can do, they were ruined. I remember that last year I went on the computer to find a way to get crayons out of clothes, so I decided to go online to search for a way to get rid of these stubborn stains. A lot of people are saying to use the bleach with boiling water method. I'm just afraid to bleach the shirts. Please help! I don't want to throw his shirts away.

By angel from PA

Best Answer

Try using Shout Color Catcher Sheets, available in the detergent aisle in the supermarket. Wash the shirts by themselves with several sheets. This product has worked for me.

Rit Dye Remover may remove the stains and the color from the shirts but you can always redye them.

January 30, 2011 Flag

I washed new jeans with a silk/cotton sweater, needless to say, there are now stains on the sweater. Any idea on how I can remove them?

By Tiggerlover68 from Pittsburgh, PA

Try soaking the silk/cotton sweater in a light mixture of bleach water and when the blue effect is gone, rinse well several times. Or, try using Oxiclean to soak it in again rinsing well. (12/30/2010)

By Lorelei

The bleach thing or there's those color remover packets by Rit that they sell at Walmart in the laundry soap isle. I just saw a commercial for these cloths things that you put in the wash to help absorb colors so they don't spread. (12/31/2010)

By ediblearm

Try washing the sweater by itself with a Shout Color Catcher sheet, available in the detergent aisle of the supermarket. This is one product that really works. (01/01/2011)

By Omanana

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 30, 2011
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink