Using It All - Lemons

Lemons, what can you do with them? The tree is probably coming down in the future. Thank you very much.

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

1. Squeeze all lemons, pour juice into ice cubes trays, freeze solid and store them in a plastic bag in your freezer.

2. Grate lemon rinds and keep in refrigerator for recipes.

3. Fresh lemons make the best lemonade.

4. Bake several lemon meringue pies.

We squeeze half a lemon onto our vegetables each night to cut down on salt use, and when cooking fish we cover with thinly sliced lemon in foil wrap and poach, then eat cooked lemon skin and all with fish. Yum

Boy do I wish I had your problem. I had a kidney stone, and lemon juice is mentioned over and over as a preventive measure. I drink a cup of warm water with juice of half a lemon every morning. I add lemon to water during the day too.

If you have a senior citizen center nearby, take the ones you don't need up there. Ask around and see if anyone has had a kidney stone, they will be happy to freeze any you can give them.

I have a lemon tree and I do everything with the lemons. One thing you can do is make a great house spice called 'gremolata.' It is made from salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried parsley and dried lemon rind. This is good on everything, meat, fish, vegs. The only thing I don't use it on is fruit.

A squeeze of lemon juice makes all vegetables taste better. Look up recipes online. They would have a fight on their hands it they tried to take my tree down. I also have naval orange trees, fig tree, mango tree, banana trees, key lime tree, and a tangelo tree. I'm hoping they all survived the cold. Enjoy your lemons.

You can also use the lemon juice for cleaning and place a few peels down the disposal now and then to keep it smelling fresh :-) Oh, and you can use dried lemon peels for potpourri in a pan of simmering water on the stove. Just be sure you keep an eye on the water running low ;-)

This Christmas I made jars of lemons pickled in brine and bay leaves. They are fantastic in north African and middle eastern dishes like couscous and tagines. they are also very expensive to buy. I also made all my own candied peel for my cakes and desserts this year as I cannot get it this Slovenia. Please don't take the tree down!

Squeeze the juice and use as a creme rinse in your hair brings highlights back. Lemon diluted with water sprays even on grass will bring fleas down. Give them to people at craigs list tell them u pick and haul. Lemon rubbed on acne , even other blemishes, then sit in sun, cures swelling and red marks clears up scarring , too. Only need 5 minutes. In winter plug in blow dryer, blow the skin, works also. Please do not cut lemon tree. Lemons have many uses.

January 12, 2010 Flag

I use lemons in much of my cooking, but find the prices very high these days. I used to pass by the bags of lemons, never needing that many, but now when the prices are good, I buy a bag and do the following:

I first remove the zest and then juice all the lemons. I freeze the juice in small freezer containers. The zest I chop and freeze by putting a teaspoon or two on a square of plastic wrap, twisting it, and putting each in a freezer baggie labeled for one or two teaspoons. The "carcasses" I have found several uses for. I freeze them and when needed I thaw and use for:

• Grind in garbage disposal to clean and deodorize.

• Put one in refrigerator to deodorize.

• Put one in simmering water for fresh kitchen smell.

• Use to de-lime deposits on the sink.

• Rub it on the copper to brighten the shine.

• Rub one on my hands if I have been chopping onions.

In the end, it saves so much money, uses every bit of the lemon, and I always have fresh lemon and zest when I need it for cooking.

In recipes, I use the following guidelines:

Recipes calling for the juice of one:

• Lemon: 2-3 Tbsp.

• Lime: 2 Tbsp.

• Orange: 2 oz.

Recipes calling for the zest of one:

• Lemon: 1 Tbsp.

• Orange: 2 Tbsp.

• Lime: 1/2 Tbsp.

Source: My own desperation

By Soph6767 from Warrensburg, MI

Answers:

Using It All - Lemons

This is very clever advice. Thank you so much. I shall take a note of it. (I have a lemon tree in my back yard.) Another use for the pith of the lemon is as a jam setter (pectin). Boil it up with citrus to set marmalade. (09/24/2009)

By merry50

Using It All - Lemons

You can also freeze them (whole or quarter) by placing on a cookie sheet in the freezer and then, once frozen, transfer to freezer storage containers. Also, zest them first and dry the zest and place in an airtight container. (09/25/2009)

By Deeli

September 24, 2009 Flag

I keep looking for the price of lemons to go down, but alas, this is not happening. My family uses lemon in a variety of ways so hear are my tips. For the best buy, I usually look for fruit sold in bulk mesh bags; and until I started to use these little tricks, I would often find that at least one or two pieces of fruit had gone bad by the time I needed it.

When you first bring the fruit home, wash and dry every piece, then using the fine side of a hand grater (not a zester), grate off the rind of at least a few of the fruits. Store the zest in a small zip bag in the freezer to use in muffins, quick breads and other recipes.

Then squeeze the juice from all of the lemons that you will not be using within a week. Pour the juice into an ice cube tray and freeze. Store the lemon juice cubes in a zip bag of their own in the freezer.

When a recipe calls for two Tablespoons of lemon juice or more I can thaw as many cubes as I need. A cube has 1 1/2 Tablespoons of lemon juice.

This has saved me money and time! You can also use this for oranges and other citrus.

By Bobbie from Rockwall

Answers:

Using It All - Lemons

I can go you one further. After I grate the lemon peel and juice the lemons, I cut the remaining peels into small chunks and use them in my garbage disposal. You can even freeze them and use them in the disposal as needed. They really help to get rid of that funky smell you sometimes get in your disposal! (08/16/2007)

By Donna N., San Diego

Using It All - Lemons

The best yet :) Lemons will help you lose weight! After reading so much about it, I decided to give it a try and I have lost something like 10 pounds in less than two months!

Just squeeze the lemon juice into a bottle, fill with water to the top - NO SUGAR - add some peppermint decoction for better taste if you like. Keep handy and drink whenever you feel thirsty during the day! (08/16/2007)

By Ouiser

Using It All - Lemons

PS Aldi's sometimes has great deals on lemons (08/17/2007)

By mommamoody

Using It All - Lemons

Maybe this is a silly question but I'm newbie to these things so I'll ask anyway...

Do not the ice cubes stick to each other when we put them in the zip bag?

Thank you!

(08/17/2007)

By orquidea

Using It All - Lemons

You can also soak extra citrus peels in vinegar to make a nice deodorizing spray. This is great when you have animals, especially cats who mark their territory inside. Cats don't like the smell of citrus so they leave the place alone for a while. We do like the smell of citrus! (08/17/2007)

By Cantate

August 15, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJanuary 12, 2010
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Boy in Devil Costume
Making a Devil Costume
Dried lime cut in half.
Recipes Using Dried Limes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎉
🎄