Towels Get Hard After One Use

After I wash my towels and wash and dry my hands one time the towels get stiff after one use! What is the problem? I have a water softener and it still hasn't helped. What can I do?

Jim Jackson from Phoenix, AZ

Best Answer

Wash your towels without detergent to get out the residue, and then use half as much detergent as called for in future washes.

Did you know that detergent companies tell you to put in as much detergent as will dissolve in water? This is actually 50% more than you actually need to use.

You may also want to switch detergents - especially if you are using something like Tide, which is a super cleaner.

Don't forget to use softener because the water softener for the general house usage is not enough for the wash.

Best Answer

I wash with detergent and a 1/2 c of baking soda and use 1 cup vinegar in the rinse. No problem with leftover suds and rough towels. they are more absorbent as well.

Best Answer

Vinegar is the best fabric softener!

I run an extra rinse cycle with 1/4 cup vinegar to remove the leftover detergent. My laundry is soft and smells great.

Love & Prayers,

Linda

You are probably using too much detergent. When I worked in a small laundry we used a product on home laundry to remove the excess soap. We didn't add any more detergent, but there was always LOTS of suds. Detergent manufacturers usually recommend too much product. Try using half the amount called for, or because you have a water softener, use a quarter of the amount. You could try a non-sudsing washing soda, such as Borax, or if you know an Amway dealer, they have an excellent product for this purpose. Good Luck

Towels Get Hard After One Use WHAT WORKS ON ALL FABRIC

Try soaking in a cold water salt bath over night before you wash - then 1/2 cup white vinegar in rinse.

I recommend this when you first get new towels as well. Makes them stay soft for a very long time.

Great hints already, but I just want to add that I too had the "mysterious" hardening towels for years. I didn't know who in our household of 5 was the culprit! This year our kids are all away at college, and I finally figured it out. After my husband shaves, he quickly rinses off his face, but the majority of the shaving foam is wiped off IN THE TOWEL!

Fluffy white towels.
Making Towels Soft
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryFebruary 3, 2006
Reusable Absorbent Towels
Make Reusable Absorbent Towels
Paper Towels
Fixing a Toilet Clogged By Paper Towels
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
🎄