Can't Miss Potluck Recipes

When I go to a potluck I usually bring a casserole and it's usually not as good as everyone elses.. Anyone have some "can't miss" potluck recipes? Thank you,

Alexa (relatively new cook)

There are a gazillion recipe websites. Google some and see what looks good. One of my favs is pasta, spaghetti sauce, ground meat (or meatless), ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. Cook pasta, cook meat, grate mozarella. Beat 1 egg into ricotta. Mix sauce, meat and cooked pasta , then fold in cheeses but don't mix really well. Put into casserole and bake til bubbly. Tastes like lasagna and is way easier.

An easy one that almost guarantees coming home with an empty pot. Sorry, but I am a "throw-together" sort of cook so it is a bit of this and a bit of that instead of precise measurements. Saute a large onion diced, a few slices of diced bacon, and a green pepper diced until the bacon and onion begins to brown. Pour this mixture into a crockpot or slow cooker. Open a gallon can of Pork and Beans and drain off all the juice. Add beans to cooker. Stir in about 1/2 cup brown Sugar, 1/4 cup Dijon or spicy brown mustard, and 1/2 cup of ketchup. (Optional: Add about 1/2 teaspoon or so of liquid smoke). Cook for several hours without the lid on the cooker. This gives the beans a drier consistency, and everyone will think they are "oven baked". Stir from time to time and turn them off when they are thick.

Harlean

Here is the best potluck recipe I have ever used, although it isn't very frugal. It even got my daughter a marriage proposal!

3-4 chicken breast, cubed

1 can fiesta cheese soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can 4 oz green chilies

cook in crock pot 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked.

To this, add the following and cook about 15 min. more:

1 crushed bag of Dorritos chips. (we use the taco flavor)

8 oz jack cheese, shredded

good luck.

Refried beans

Salsa

Mozzarella Cheese - shredded

Cheddar Cheese - shredded

Tortilla Chips if using as a dip

OR

Tortillas & shredded lettuce to use as a "soft taco"

Heat beans & salsa, fold in cheeses. Easy to make and keeps hot in a crockpot.

Also great with shredded cooked chicken or cooked ground beef added.

I have never failed to get a lot of compliments and requests for the recipe when I bring Shepherd's Pie. There are lots of versions available on the internet, but here's my recipe:

Cricket's Easy Shepherd's Pie

2 lbs lean ground beef (I use 93/7)

1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (without potatoes)

2 envelopes brown gravy mix

1 envelope onion soup mix (any variety)

2 cups water

12-15 servings mashed potatoes (you can make from scratch or use a mix. I use a mix because it's easier)--prepared

Optional: (one or any combination)

Grated cheddar cheese (I found that grated cheese works better than slices because the slices tend to be difficult to scoop into when serving)

Paprika

Chopped parsley

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°

Brown and crumble the ground beef well. Drain thoroughly.

In a large bowl, combine beef and vegetables.

Add water, gravy mix and onion soup mix and combine well.

Pour everything into an 11"x13" pan.

Spoon mashed potatoes over the top, filling in all the gaps so it's covered completely.

Put in the oven and heat till bubbly.

Approximately 5 minutes it's done, bring it out and sprinkle the cheese and any other toppings on top, then return to the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt (watch carefully so as not to burn the cheese).

An easy way to make it less fattening is to drain the ground beef onto layers of paper towels, and to use low or non fat milk in the potatoes, and low fat cheese.

This has never failed to produce lots of compliments and requests for "More, please! More, please!"

This recipe can be easily adjusted for the number of people you are serving. For just my husband and I, I use 1/2 lb ground beef, 1 small can vegetables (drained), and I use canned gravy mix and canned soup so that I can simply use 1/2 can gravy and 1/4 can soup. And I make up 3 servings of potatoes, and put it all in a 1 quart casserole dish.

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesAugust 5, 2004
Sheet Cake
Sheet Cake Recipes
Potluck Casserole
Potluck Tips
Casserole Dish in Wicker Carrier
Making a Casserole Carrier
Potluck Dinner Casserole
Potluck Dinner Recipes
🎄