Spike (Little Corella Cockatoo)

Spike is 4 years old and a Little Corella Cockatoo. I got him at Christmas time. I had just lost a beloved cockatiel and was hoping for another one to love. My daughter and I had been visiting a particular cockatoo at the pet store for many months. He was my dream bird, but he was way out of my budget. He would grab my finger through the cage and beg me to take him home. This went on and on.

One day my husband insisted we go the the pet store. He grabbed me, the kids and the cockatiel cage and and we headed off to the pet store. It happened to be the store with my dream bird. Knowing we could not afford him, I still wanted to show my husband how much this bird loved me. He said, " Is that the bird you want? " I said," Honey, we could never afford that." I started looking at the cockatiels. Little did I know he had already purchased my dream bird and a huge cage. I guess my daughter tipped him off. We went home with my dream bird. It was a magical Christmas.

Spike likes to eat our furniture, sing and dance, in that order. Spike can somehow tell when some is leaving the house and will say "Bye, bye!" We aren't exactly sure how he knows.

At our house, nothing goes to waste. We started out feeding Spike some of our healthy leftovers. We soon began to realize that the wild birds and critters could also benefit from things that would otherwise be tossed in trash. We have since watched generations of birds, raccoons and possum grow up in our yard because of leftovers. It feels so good knowing we have helped so many critters with things most people just toss away!

By Ivy

What a beautiful cockatoo!

Awww, look at that face. He is posing for you, what a ham. I worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and we had a Cockatoo as our hospital bird. He was our greeter and we took him home on weekends. His name is Max.They are very smart and learn quickly. Have fun with him.

What a wonderful story. You became friends first. Sounds like a love story. Lol. I think it made him even more special the way you got him as a surprise gift. I know you will have many happy years together.

Such a joy to see and read your story! It makes me happy to think of you together. That is so wonderful, that you got your sweet bird, and you are so happy.

I am glad you are respecting and helping wildlife, we need more people to do that. Blessings.

I am like you and feed 'Gods animals' our left overs from the day... it makes me feel extra special to read that someone else is doing it also!

And by the way! What a beautiful bird!

Congratulations on getting him, they are very, very intelligent birds - my Aunt Sherry has had two of these birds for years and considers them her 'feathered children' they live much longer then one would think. We are so glad they are there for company to her. :)

June 1, 2011 Flag

Spike is a 4 year old Little Corella Cockatoo. Spike was a surprise Christmas gift from my family. Spike likes to eat furniture in his spare time.

I fell in love with Spike while visiting our local pet shop. He would reach out from the bars of his cage a grip my finger. He would not let go! It was love at first sight. My daughter and I would visit him as often as we could, until one day my husband bought him as a surprise Christmas gift.

Spike speaks only a few words, but he understands what he is saying. He says "Bye, bye" whenever I grab my car keys. A wonderful friend he is!

By The gal from RPV

A white cockatoo tilting his head to the side.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments
Photos Pets OtherNovember 12, 2010
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Summer Hyacinth
Growing Summer Hyacinth
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatoo is Scratching Itself
Growing Gladiolus
Growing Gladiolus
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:44:33 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.