Removing Wood Smell from New Pine Drawers

I've just bought a new set of pine drawers. They obviously smell very strongly of wood, but the drawers are going into our nursery, and I don't want all the baby's clothes to smell too. I've looked at drawer liners, but I think I'll just end up with a wood smell plus the liner scent, and I really want to remove the smell, not cover it.

Also I don't know what chemicals might be on the liners, and I don't want all my son's clothes to smell of roses! Does anyone have any ideas how to remove the smell? Thanks!

Julie from UK

Maybe try tearing a fabric sheet in half and place that in the drawers, or maybe a small cup or lid with some baking soda to absorb the odors

Maybe you could try sprinkling the drawers with baking soda? Baking soda is known to absorb odors. Another idea is the baby powder that they make with baking soda. You could just sprinkle that in and the baby smells like a baby and not a tree! Happy pushing!

Could you paint over the bare wood with a sealer? There are lots of ecologically-safe paints on the market.

I think I'd try the charcoal briquette procedure first.

Put some old newspapers at the bottom of each drawer, then place a layer of briquettes on top of the newspaper. Close the drawers and let it sit for many days-- a week if you can.

The smell should be gone.

Save the briquettes to use for snowmen's eyes-- or stocking stuffers.

As I posted to another odor problem, I would put vanilla on cotton balls and close up the drawer. I haven't found anything that this doesn't remove the smell of. It won't smell like vanilla in there, it just removes the funky smell.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 11, 2008
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants