The High Cost of Baby Food

When my daughter began solid foods, I was shocked at the price of jarred baby food! It is easy to make your own, and is much, much cheaper! There is a lot of info available on the specifics (it's not complicated). You can access this info at your local library, or do a web search. An example of the cost savings: I can get an entire pound of bananas on sale for less than the cost of a single jar of baby food bananas!

By Leann D

Years ago, parents would just chew up a small bite of whatever they were eating and then poke it in the baby's mouth. This seems pretty crude today, now that we have better ways to do it, but before there was Gerber (or blenders or food processors) that's how it was done.

You are right though, baby food is absurdly expensive, and there's no reason you can't make it yourself for a fraction of the price. I wish someone had suggested this when my daughter was little; we were dirt-poor back then but I just couldn't go with the pre-chewing idea, so I splurged and bought the stuff in jars. Heck, we could have saved a fortune and the food would have probably been better for her too. Fresh is just healthier than canned.