The High Cost of Baby Food

When my daughter began solid foods, I was shocked at the price of jarred baby food! It is easy to make your own, and is much, much cheaper! There is a lot of info available on the specifics (it's not complicated). You can access this info at your local library, or do a web search. An example of the cost savings: I can get an entire pound of bananas on sale for less than the cost of a single jar of baby food bananas!

By Leann D

Years ago, parents would just chew up a small bite of whatever they were eating and then poke it in the baby's mouth. This seems pretty crude today, now that we have better ways to do it, but before there was Gerber (or blenders or food processors) that's how it was done.

You are right though, baby food is absurdly expensive, and there's no reason you can't make it yourself for a fraction of the price. I wish someone had suggested this when my daughter was little; we were dirt-poor back then but I just couldn't go with the pre-chewing idea, so I splurged and bought the stuff in jars. Heck, we could have saved a fortune and the food would have probably been better for her too. Fresh is just healthier than canned.

Jar of baby food with a spoon and bananas in the background.
Saving Money on Baby Food
Make Your Own Baby ItemsNovember 2, 2004
A baby eating organic baby food.
Making Your Own Organic Baby Food
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄