How Big Should a Lapghan Be?

What size should a lapghan or wheelchair afghan be?

By Susan from Suffern, NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

For a comfortable fit, it's best to know if the person is long legged or short and has a thin or wide build. I've made some for various people and always go by that. You don't want it to drag the floor and get caught up in the wheels or have the edges brush against the wheels either to get easily soiled.

A good size is a basic 4' by 4' square. This is perfect for a giant granny square, but also easy when you want to make 16 1' squares, too. Or, you simply start the row at 4' and keep going till it's another 4' and then make a nice border. If someone is small or in a wheel chair, try a 3' by 3' piece of cloth, and if it's the perfect size, make it like that. If someone wants to cover more of their legs and less of their laps, you can also make it oblong, say 3' by 4'. Good luck!

Here's the google link.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy& ... r.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4db05700009e71d0

I have a pattern book that's right up your alley! But wouldn't you know I can't find it right now? Anyway, an average lapghan is approximately 36" x 40". Wheel chair afghans are usually a bit smaller. I made one this past Christmas for a firend and he loves his. I made it about 36 x 42.

Here is a link to the book I have. It's really great.

http://www.wittywife.com/Crochet/Af ... eelchair-Afghans-Bags/prod_1364.html

One thing about making for a wheel chair though. Since my friend has cerebral palsy and therefore doesn't have use of his arms or hands as well as his legs, I made ties to go on the top two corners so that his caretaker can tie it to the chair so it doesn't constantly slip off. I also put ties on the bottom two corners to be tied to the bars that the foot rests are on. This prevents it from getting caught up in the wheels or dragging the ground. This tip isn't in the book or any pattern I've found.

I also crocheted him a hat and scarf to match his afghan. He absolutely loves the set!

Try Annies Attic for patterns. But the other suggestions were perfect. I am in a wheelchair long legged and queen size. So there is no magic size.

Answer

woman in wheelchair with afghan
Making a Wheelchair Lapghan
Crafts AdviceMarch 10, 2011
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Large Doc Martin boots.
Making Shoes That Are Too Big Fit
diamond ring
Fixing Rings That Are Too Big
Medical Insurance Documents
How Long Should You Save Medical Insurance Documents?
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:06:52 AM on 10.0.2.94 in 901 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.