Do Copperhead Snakes Have a Cucumber Odor?

Does a Copperhead snake put off an odor that smells like cucumber?

By pastorjohn from Pomeroy, OH

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Peggy 63 173 09/18/2009

Yes, I just read about this yesterday, didn't save the site though, sorry

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 09/19/2009

According to the article I am sending regarding this topic, this is a myth.
re: http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... perheads_the_most_misunderstood.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 09/20/2009

However they do excrete a smell when about to bite or really agitated. So I guess the answer to this is yes, if they are ready to attack and mad, and no, they do not smell like this otherwise. Robyn

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Elizabeth 199 09/25/2009

I remember living on a farm in So.Illinois and my mom would go to the garden to weed and saying she smelled a coperhead snake and it smelled to her like cucumbers and sure enough she would see one and she was a good shot with a hoe and killed it. I don't know how she got by with it all those years and didn't get bit. She was a very daring woman in my book. Lots of times a King snake would swallow the poison snakes. Mom never killed the King snakes. She did know her snakes and I guess in her way was cautious but I hated the sight of them and ran to the house. I still hate the snakes and when they are on TV I go to another channel and won't look at them. HAHA I live in Tennessee on the outskirts of Chattanooga and have not seen one since the 5 years we have been here but do know they are slithering around just waiting for me some day.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Brenda 25 63 09/26/2009

Never got close enough to one to smell it...lol

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Vickie Simpson 4 1 09/29/2009

My husband Al and I grew up in a small town in Kentucky. When we were dating in 1987 we went for a walk past his parents place and sat on a rock. After sitting there for about 10 minutes we smelled rotten cucumbers and we ran. My now husband took a log and flipped over the rock and there was a whole nest of copperheads. So my advice to the pastor is if you smell that smell get out of Dodge. The old people have this advice for a reason. If you think it's a myth, well test it and let the rest of us know. LOL!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,777 10/20/2009

I am with Triple Deb, I too would never wanna know!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jerri J. 1 07/02/2015

When copperheads become excited or stressed they exude a musk which does, indeed, smell like cucumbers. Also, their feces looks like yellow cornmeal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No