Do Copperhead Snakes Have a Cucumber Odor?

Does a Copperhead snake put off an odor that smells like cucumber?

By pastorjohn from Pomeroy, OH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Yes, I just read about this yesterday, didn't save the site though, sorry

According to the article I am sending regarding this topic, this is a myth.

re: http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... perheads_the_most_misunderstood.html

However they do excrete a smell when about to bite or really agitated. So I guess the answer to this is yes, if they are ready to attack and mad, and no, they do not smell like this otherwise. Robyn

I remember living on a farm in So.Illinois and my mom would go to the garden to weed and saying she smelled a coperhead snake and it smelled to her like cucumbers and sure enough she would see one and she was a good shot with a hoe and killed it. I don't know how she got by with it all those years and didn't get bit. She was a very daring woman in my book. Lots of times a King snake would swallow the poison snakes. Mom never killed the King snakes. She did know her snakes and I guess in her way was cautious but I hated the sight of them and ran to the house. I still hate the snakes and when they are on TV I go to another channel and won't look at them. HAHA I live in Tennessee on the outskirts of Chattanooga and have not seen one since the 5 years we have been here but do know they are slithering around just waiting for me some day.

Never got close enough to one to smell it...lol

My husband Al and I grew up in a small town in Kentucky. When we were dating in 1987 we went for a walk past his parents place and sat on a rock. After sitting there for about 10 minutes we smelled rotten cucumbers and we ran. My now husband took a log and flipped over the rock and there was a whole nest of copperheads. So my advice to the pastor is if you smell that smell get out of Dodge. The old people have this advice for a reason. If you think it's a myth, well test it and let the rest of us know. LOL!

I am with Triple Deb, I too would never wanna know!

When copperheads become excited or stressed they exude a musk which does, indeed, smell like cucumbers. Also, their feces looks like yellow cornmeal.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Copperhead Snake
Copperhead Snake Information and Photos
Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesSeptember 18, 2009
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
supporting cucumbers
Supporting Cucumber Vines
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 9, 2016 at 11:47:25 AM on 10.0.2.223 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.