AdviceFrugal Living

Favorite Tips from the Tightwad Gazette

What are some tips from the Tightwad Gazette that you love most and still implement?

By MIA87

Washing out plastic bags!

Also washing out plastic bags, re-purposing things. I haven't read the book in a while but need a refresher.

Here is my top Five! The Tightwad Gazette will always be useful to review from time to time.

1. Stretching my hamburger by mixing it with 1:1 ratio of TVP

2. Replace eggs in baking 4 tsp soy flour and 1 T water = 1 egg

3. Homemade instant onion soup mix

4. Homemade stain remover

5. I can't make someone want to be frugal; they have to make the choice themselves. I set the example and gladly share any tips that may be asked of me, but it is unproductive if the individual does not have the willingness to begin.

It is a lifestyle that I've embraced since childhood and continue to enjoy. I will always be on the hunt for ways to to use it up, wear it up, make it do, or do without! The results of being frugal is a life of true contentment and most of all the opportunity to be a blessing to others.

I came across The Tightwad Gazettes when cleaning my closet. I kept them in plastic sleeves with a ring. What a treat to have a subscription to that!

I am still using cloth napkins all the time, have done that for over 20 years.

I still save my dryer lint for the birds (used to put it in my compost pile for the picking) and have trouble throwing it out now that I don't have a compost pile.

And I recently got a table umbrella from my neighbor that ended up getting an awning over her deck. I am experimenting with it as a drying rack ...putting throw rugs over the outside. Hanging underwear & stocks along the edge (with clothes pins), and hanging hanger clothes on the inner spines. I haven't figured out how to do a blanket without getting on a step ladder to throw it over the top, and it falls over a lot, I had to put the weight up on chairs like where the table sat with it.

But even if someone in an apartment used umbrellas (regular size)- socks & undies hanging from the ceiling, and towels or rugs over the top when put in a stand with a brick to hold it down. Just fold it up and put it away until next washing day. Anyone else try this before? Helps with the moisture in the air as well.