Losing Power When I Put a Light Bulb in a Socket

I have an electrical problem. I have power at my light switch and fixtures, but when I put a light bulb in the socket the power is no longer there. If I take the bulb out and power is back.

Kimeo from St. Paul, MN

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Dear Kimeo

A voltage reading on a digital instrument does not necessarily mean that there is real power there. If you still read the same voltage when a load is connected, THEN you have proper connections.

Most likely you have either wires mixed up or a broken wire somewhere or a badly corroded connection. A totally corroded connection lets enough electricity flow through it to show on a digital meter, but not enough to light up a lightbulb.

Use an electrician's test light or a trouble light or a table lamp connected with insulated alligator jumpers to your meter leads. Start at the malfunctioning light and test every access point all the ay back to the breaker until you find a spot where the test light comes on and the voltage reads 110 or more Volts while the light is lit. The problem will be at that spot or immediately downstream from it.

Good Luck

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor/

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalJune 24, 2006
Light Bulb Vase
Making a Light Bulb Vase
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Light Switch
Repairing a Light Switch
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 6:08:12 AM on 10.0.2.19 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.