Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
After the lightbulb blew, it smoked and sparked. I removed that bulb and put in another with the same occurrence. Now I can't get the bulb out. Does light need new fixture for bulb?
I use a tweezer to get between the bulb and socket to unscrew it.
Warning: Be sure that the light fixture's power is turned off to avoid electrocution.
Last night I went to turn on my dining room light (chandelier style with three bulb sockets, one being empty). I wasn't looking as I turned on the dimmer switch, but heard a "pop". Since I had no light, I decided to replace a bulb in case both bulbs blew out simultaneously! As you would guess, it did not light. The next day, I replaced the dimmer switch to see if that would solve the problem. When I turned the dimmer on, there was even a louder pop than before. In fact, I saw some sparks fly out of the open socket followed by a very small plume of smoke. The circuit breaker did not trip on either occasion. I am assuming that my switch blew (both times) since the switch does nothing. What do you think is going on?
I don't fool around with either electricity or water. Please hire a professional. The last thing you want is a fire due to faulty wiring.
It sounds like there is a problem in the wiring between the switch and the chandelier. Are there other outlets/electrical in the room? Are they effected? This is a job for a professional. I wouldn't try anything else myself. Safety first! :)
I don't understand why your circuit breaker didn't cut in - there's a live wire loose in that bulb socket, and it should have. I think, unfortunately, you need an electrician as soon as possible to check on loose wires and maybe faulty circuit breaker.
Cut Power off immediately and call electrician to be safe.
I repair lamps. Sounds like you need a new replacement socket. It is very easy to replace. If the wiring looks old or is original, you may want to buy the wiring also.
It is time to call an electrician, especially if you have the old style knob and tube wiring.
I have a wall light fixture in the bathroom above the sink. It has 3 light bulbs in a horizontal row. The bulbs need replacing frequently. Bulbs have needed replacing very frequently in other areas of the house, also.
I turned on this bathroom light fixture and was treated to popping and a shower of sparks. The light bulb itself appears to be intact, but the glass globe that is attached to the metal arm, like a tulip-shaped glass shade over the bulb, is black where it touches the metal rim of the light fixture. Is it more likely the fixture went bad or the wiring in the wall?
By Delia F
Doesn't matter which is at fault, it is time to call an electrician. He can also check out why you have to frequently replace light bulbs in other areas of the house. It will be money well spent.