social

Light Bulb Socket Sparked and Smoked?

Last night I went to turn on my dining room light (chandelier style with three bulb sockets, one being empty). I wasn't looking as I turned on the dimmer switch, but heard a "pop". Since I had no light, I decided to replace a bulb in case both bulbs blew out simultaneously! As you would guess, it did not light. The next day, I replaced the dimmer switch to see if that would solve the problem. When I turned the dimmer on, there was even a louder pop than before. In fact, I saw some sparks fly out of the open socket followed by a very small plume of smoke. The circuit breaker did not trip on either occasion. I am assuming that my switch blew (both times) since the switch does nothing. What do you think is going on?

Advertisement

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
December 16, 20160 found this helpful

I don't fool around with either electricity or water. Please hire a professional. The last thing you want is a fire due to faulty wiring.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 355 Posts
December 28, 20160 found this helpful

I repair lamps. Sounds like you need a new replacement socket. It is very easy to replace. If the wiring looks old or is original, you may want to buy the wiring also. A hardware, lamp shop or country store sells lamp parts.

Advertisement

If you pay attention perfectly when you take your lamp apart, you will have no problem putting it back together perfectly. It is very easy. You will be amazed at yourself!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 104 Posts
December 16, 20160 found this helpful

It sounds like there is a problem in the wiring between the switch and the chandelier. Are there other outlets/electrical in the room? Are they effected? This is a job for a professional. I wouldn't try anything else myself. Safety first! :)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Answer Medal for All Time! 155 Answers
December 17, 20160 found this helpful

I don't understand why your circuit breaker didn't cut in - there's a live wire loose in that bulb socket, and it should have. I think, unfortunately, you need an electrician as soon as possible to check on loose wires and maybe faulty circuit breaker.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 21, 20160 found this helpful

Cut Power off immediately and call electrician to be safe.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts
December 28, 20160 found this helpful

It is time to call an electrician, especially if you have the old style knob and tube wiring.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Advertisement

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Categories
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalDecember 16, 2016
Pages
More
💘
Valentine's Ideas!
🍀
St. Patrick's Ideas!
🎂
Birthday Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-01-23 10:11:12 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Light-Bulb-Socket-Sparked-and-Smoked-2.html