Browsing: Uses for Carpet Padding

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Carpet Padding

When you pull up your carpet or install new, you may have leftover padding. This is a guide about uses for carpet padding.

Carpet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 23, 2010 Flag

You know those expensive padded shoe inserts that you can buy in the store? Lots of people use them for extra cushion in their shoes, especially if they have a job that requires lots of standing. Well, I have a really smart friend who shared the secret of getting free inserts for his shoes and he wants me to pass it on to you.

He goes to the carpet stores and asks for the leftover carpet padding from their jobs. You know, the remnants that they'll never use and are headed for the garbage. Then he brings them home, lays his old inserts on top and cuts them to match. The carpet padding is extra strong and cushiony and they last about a week before he has to cut out another pair.

All free I might add!

So next time you're reaching for pair of over priced inserts, just hop back in your car and drive to the carpet store. You'll save a bundle of money.

Source: A friend.

By LovingLynden from Lynden, WA

January 23, 2009 Flag

We are pulling up the carpet and padding in our house and replacing it with wood flooring. We have been wanting to put additional insulation in our attic and came up with the idea to spread the carpet padding in the attic over the existing insulation. Before we do this, I thought I'd ask if this might be a bad idea for some reason.

Peggy from Yulan, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This would not be a good idea. Old carpet padding tends to get very crumbly over time; also, even though it might look clean, it isn't. Padding retains a lot of dust and debris. I went online and found this information. To find a carpet pad recycling center ask at your local carpeting or home improvement store or look online. Many times your local carpeting store will take the padding and sell it to the carpet padding recycling center. If you can find your own recycling center, you can take that money yourself, though you'll have to do your own hauling. Most people don't realize that recycled carpet pad has value so don't even think to check about recycling it. By making contact with the right person, you can receive that value. Hope this helps.

I wouldnt do it because its the air pockets in the insulation that adds the extra warmth. Once insulation gets packed down, you need to add more.

Also, I think if insulation would work better than way, manufacturers would sell those type of "blankets" for insulation.

You may want to put down your carpet padding UNDER your insulation, but I'm thinking this is not new construction you are talking about. The other idea is to use your old carpet between rows in your garden if you vegetable garden. It keeps weeds out.

Please keep thinking of ways to reuse materials that would otherwise go to landfills. I'm proud of you.

We use old carpet in the garden. We make strips about 2 feet wide and lay them out for walk ways. You could also use carpet to keep weeds out of flower beds around the plants or bushes. As for the padding, we have used it in the shop to stand or walk on, nicer than concrete.

I have one of those huge whole house fans in my attic that goes from the ceiling in the upstairs hall up into the attic and out the house. I put all my old carpet padding over it in the winter to help seal out the drafts - It works great because the padding molds to the shape of the fan. I love the strips in the garden idea - I'll do that one!

Read More Answers...

March 27, 2013 Flag

We pulled out our carpet and carpet pad, but don't wish to take it to the land fill. We are thinking about using it for insulation, but the weight of it will depress the existing attic insulation causing it to not perform. Perhaps we can nail layers on the wall to provide sound insulation. but then we have to drywall it over.

Any better ideas of make second life out of old carpet and carpet pad?

By yanghome2000

Cut the carpet into blocks and use for mud-rugs outside the doors. Use the carpet blocks for lying on the ground to work under the car, or knee padding for yard work. Use old carpets to cover driveway mud :)

I actually hang rugs on the walls on purpose as both a sort of wall art, insulation and sound muffling. You could make a large frame for some of it. Or have it bound off into wall size pieces. Or hang some and pin things to it like pretty dried branches or leaves or other natural things. Or cover a whole wall and then hang pictures on the carpeting wherever you normall would.

Regift it through Habitat shops or ad on radio. My parents loved it when friends got new carpet. They would buy it for their farm house. Since you can imagine the feet on a farm, they would not put new in. To do with it as you suggest, might result in a some fire hazard, or health hazard. If you could get it outside and steam clean it, hang it on the line to dry, and let the sun help.

August 17, 2004 Flag

Here are some uses for extra carpet padding. Post your ideas!

Carpet stores will give you leftover pieces from installations for FREE if you ask.

They are good for making chair cushions, double for more thickness and cover.

For your dog's bed, use carpet pads in a zippered pillow slip cover, makes it easy to remove and wash.

By syd

We used to live in a house with hardwood floors--very cold in the winter. I used a bath mat beside my bed with a scrap of carpet padding underneath. It was nice to step out of bed onto a cushy rug!

Better Living Green Living ReusingMarch 28, 2013
Walker Grips
Adding Padding to Walker Grips
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Vinyl Chair
Drying Padding Inside Vinyl Covered Chairs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:01:36 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.