Uses for Carpet Padding

When you pull up your carpet or install new, you may have leftover padding. This is a guide about uses for carpet padding.

Carpet
Filter Sort

Question: Using Carpet Padding as Insulation

By Peggy Geltman 6 6

We are pulling up the carpet and padding in our house and replacing it with wood flooring. We have been wanting to put additional insulation in our attic and came up with the idea to spread the carpet padding in the attic over the existing insulation. Before we do this, I thought I'd ask if this might be a bad idea for some reason.

Peggy from Yulan, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Michelle Angie 1 2 Flag

I have one of those huge whole house fans in my attic that goes from the ceiling in the upstairs hall up into the attic and out the house. I put all my old carpet padding over it in the winter to help seal out the drafts - It works great because the padding molds to the shape of the fan. I love the strips in the garden idea - I'll do that one!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Use Carpet Padding as Shoe Inserts

By Faith Vandriel 46 1

You know those expensive padded shoe inserts that you can buy in the store? Lots of people use them for extra cushion in their shoes, especially if they have a job that requires lots of standing. Well, I have a really smart friend who shared the secret of getting free inserts for his shoes and he wants me to pass it on to you.

He goes to the carpet stores and asks for the leftover carpet padding from their jobs. You know, the remnants that they'll never use and are headed for the garbage. Then he brings them home, lays his old inserts on top and cuts them to match. The carpet padding is extra strong and cushiony and they last about a week before he has to cut out another pair.

All free I might add!

So next time you're reaching for pair of over priced inserts, just hop back in your car and drive to the carpet store. You'll save a bundle of money.

Source: A friend.

By LovingLynden from Lynden, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Reusing High Quality Carpet and Padding

By yanghome2000 2

We pulled out our carpet and carpet pad, but don't wish to take it to the land fill. We are thinking about using it for insulation, but the weight of it will depress the existing attic insulation causing it to not perform. Perhaps we can nail layers on the wall to provide sound insulation. but then we have to drywall it over.

Any better ideas of make second life out of old carpet and carpet pad?

By yanghome2000

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

Regift it through Habitat shops or ad on radio. My parents loved it when friends got new carpet. They would buy it for their farm house. Since you can imagine the feet on a farm, they would not put new in. To do with it as you suggest, might result in a some fire hazard, or health hazard. If you could get it outside and steam clean it, hang it on the line to dry, and let the sun help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Carpet Padding Uses

Here are some uses for extra carpet padding. Post your ideas!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Camilla North 20 75 Flag

We used to live in a house with hardwood floors--very cold in the winter. I used a bath mat beside my bed with a scrap of carpet padding underneath. It was nice to step out of bed onto a cushy rug!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Better Living Green Living ReusingMarch 28, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Walker Grips
Adding Padding to Walker Grips
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Vinyl Chair
Drying Padding Inside Vinyl Covered Chairs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 5:20:14 PM on 10.0.1.238 in 679 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings