AdviceHealth & Beauty

Getting A Hair Out Of Your Eye

Does anyone have any tips for getting something out of your eye that you can't see - like a long haired cats hair? I have gotten his hair in my eyes at times and I cannot remove it for hours because I can't find it. If I take a shower or wash my face, which isn't always convenient at the time, I can remove it. Otherwise it is really bothersome and uncomfortable.

Ann from MA

I am always getting eyelashes in my eye that I can't see. I usually open my eyes as big & wide as they can get and keep them open without blinking until they start to get watery with tears and it helps whatever is in there to float out to the corner. Sometimes I use a bottle of plain saline eye solution to wash it out if I am at home.

Sometimes this works. Pull your eyelid down over the bottom eyelash. It might take more than one pull.

Take hold of your upper eye lid by the eye lashes and pull the lid down over your bottom lid. Hold in place while you roll your eye around in a circle several times. My grandmother taught me this 50 years ago and it has always worked.

Wow, it actually works!

My Dad taught me to stretch the eyelid over your affected eye and somehow it clears your eye...works for me!

Try lightly closing your eyes and blowing your nose. The object usually moves to the corner of the eye. Use a clean, dry tissue to dab in the corner and it usually pulls the object out. Good luck.

If there is something in my eye that I can't see, I go into the bathroom with a flashlight. Turn the main light off and hold the flashlight under your eye. You may have to move your head up, down, left or right, but the light will make even the finest hair show. Good luck!

Get an eye cup at the pharmacy. It looks like a shot glass but is saddleshaped. Use a sterile rinse in it and follow directions. Heaven-sent.

Yup, this is the best answer. I just got a long piece of link from up under my eyes that has been there for years eventually with an eye cup. As well as lashes and other pieces of lint. Eye cup works well.

I worked for ophthalmologists for about 13 years. Their solution was this: Stare straight ahead. Now look toward your nose and close your eyes. Repeat until the foreign body is in the inner corner of your eye. Now you can scrape it out with a clean fingernail.

Anonymous

Stare straight ahead and blink... you may have to do this several times which will move the object to the corner of your eye and finally get a tissue and carefully dap it with cold water and then use a clean fingernail to wipe it away and then wash your eye with water as it may hurt or start watering and then start blinking normally. hope this works , good luck !

Anonymous

Thanks Coreen Hart.....It's really helpful.