Coconut Crusted Marshmallows

contest winner icon

Here is a super simple way to make your own marshmallows at home. They are so much better than the store-bought variety and no corn syrup is added.

• 2 Tbsp. of powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup of flaked coconut
  • 1 Tbsp. of gelatin (1 envelope of Knox)
  • 4 Tbsp. of cold water
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup of cold water
  • 1/8 tsp. of salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Dust an 8 or 9 inch cake pan with some powdered sugar. Set aside.

Toast flaked coconut by placing on a baking sheet in a 350 degree F oven. Stir often for about 10 minutes. I use my toaster oven!

In a small bowl, soak gelatin in 4 tablespoons of cold water. Set aside.

Combine granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of water in a large heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Add gelatin and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour into a large mixing bowl and let stand until partially cool.

Add salt and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form and it doubles in volume, approximately 10-15 minutes.

Pour into prepared pan and set to cool until it doesn't stick to your finger when you touch it.

Cut into 1 inch pieces and roll in powdered sugar and/or toasted coconut. My photo shows both variations. Enjoy!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

I made homemade marshmallows at Christmas and they did not set up and I think it was because I only have a portable mixer. I think you need a stand mixer for these. Otherwise, the mixture crawls up the beaters. That is what happened to me and I turned it off so it didn't get inside the workings of my mixer. They turned a little thicker than marshmallow creme. I used it in a recipe for fudge but even that turned out grainy. So unless I get a different mixer, I won't be trying it again.

Hi Laniegirl, I only have an electric hand mixer and that's what I use for these marshmallows. Because they don't have corn syrup, they are a touch softer than store-bought marshmallows but not at all like marshmallow creme. I use exactly this recipe with the electric hand mixer and they're perfect every time. :)

Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsJanuary 10, 2011
Coconut Oil
Buying Coconut Oil
Fresh coconuts.
Using Fresh Coconut
Marshmallows
Substituting Marshmallows and Marshmallow Creme
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 9:46:22 PM on 10.0.1.11 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.