Growing Food in Buckets

My hubby got me some 3 gallon square buckets to start a garden (fruits and veggies) and I need some advice as to what to plant and where to find the seeds for it. I have never had any luck with grocery store seeds so I'm looking for other places.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Denise from Mcrae, GA

Most Vegetables fruit and herbs grow well in containers. Brassica's are about the only difficult exception although this is still possible with care to stop them bolting. Most seed catalogues list seed especially developped for growing in small area's.

I have grown everything in buckets, just be sure to drill holes in bottom for drainage. 5 or 6 holes in the bottom or around the bottom edge. I use half leaves and soil, (no chemicals here at all) you can grow all veggies, flowers , herbs etc. what ever you heart desires, except a large tree or shrub, but you can also start them in there. If you get your seeds from a nursery you should be o.k. I have never had any problem with any seeds I bought from anywhere . Do not keep your new seeds very wet, spray them a bit with a weak tea solution - not soak them, and make sure they are out of direct sun till they have at least 2 or 3 set of leaves. I even get seed from drug store when the are on sale a 10cents a pack, and never have any problem with them. If you get a "thick " seed, like morning glory, (will need a trellis of some sort) be sure to soak them at least 8 hours to soften the seed, all hard and thick seeds should be soaked. Hope this helps.

Go to You will find forums about many - many subjects. You will be interested in container gardening, of course. But they have many named vegetables and flowers also seeds.

Be sure to save the pages to your favoriites list.

Good luck

I grow tomato plants, various herbs, and peppers in containers. They do quite well. I tried zuchinni two years in a row and it did poorly. I buy the tiny plants at the green house. I just have better luck. (I can't really grow much indorrs as I don't have proper light and the pets tend to distroy potted plants) It honestly doesn't cost that much when you consider that you aren't buying enought for a whole garden - just a few containers. Last year I splurged and bought one larger tomato plant. It produced so quickly that I plan to buy all large tomato plants this year. I have had some good results growing herbs from seeds. I bought a cilantro plant several years ago. It goes to seed mid summer and I just leave the pot alone, making sure it doesn't get too dry. The seeds re-sprout new plants for late summer. Then at the end of the growing season I move the pot to a sheltered spot. In spring, I sit it back out in the sun and make sure it gets watter and suddenly I have new cilantro plants!

hi thank you to all of you who posted i will try all of you suggestions denise

To find seed to plant you can find them in Hardware stores or look in ph book for seed & feed stores,we get seed in a Farmers exchange here,also the Dollar stores have seed,good luck.

Growing strawberries in a planter.
Growing Food in a Small Space
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingFebruary 23, 2007
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Chicken Feed On Grain Bag
Storing Chicken Feed
Plastic Bucket
Reusing Plastic Buckets
Water Bottle
Using Recycled Buckets and Bottles for Irrigation