Reusing Plastic Buckets

Category Reusing
Depending on what kind of product was in your container, you can recycle these buckets in a variety of thrifty ways. This guide is about reusing plastic buckets.

Home and especially garage organization can be as short as a trip to your local fast food restaurant. Five-gallon pickle buckets have a huge list of uses: fishing, gardening, storage, etc. They are usually free, and you are doing the green thing by not filling the dump.

By WM from IN

Free or almost always free fast food restaurants (ie: BK, McD, etc.) go through a lot of pickle buckets. They are free or maybe $1 and are almost indestructible. Uses: garbage cans, storage, organizing garage stuff, holiday stuff, hide Christmas presents, etc. Use your imagination.

By WM from Indiana

Go to your local grocery store bakery and ask if they throw away their icing buckets or donut glaze buckets. If they do, I am sure they would love to give them away instead. I am a cake decorator in one and I give away tons of buckets.

Reasons I have personally heard for getting the buckets: planting tomatoes (on ground or even hanging), collecting vegetables from garden, storing pet food, collecting honey, making wine, making pickled cucumbers. One lady picks them up for the local dog shelter to let the dogs chew on them. I am not so sure that is a safe practice but she says that it is fine!

So, help save the landfill and save some $$$$ too by asking for free buckets. We carry 3 different sizes too! And the labels on the buckets come off easy. Fill the bucket with warm water and let sit for a day or so, the label will peel right off!

Johnsgirl from Demorest, GA

My hubby got me some 3 gallon square buckets to start a garden (fruits and veggies) and I need some advice as to what to plant and where to find the seeds for it. I have never had any luck with grocery store seeds so I'm looking for other places.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Thanks,
Denise from Mcrae, GA

Answers

Most Vegetables fruit and herbs grow well in containers. Brassica's are about the only difficult exception although this is still possible with care to stop them bolting. Most seed catalogues list seed especially developped for growing in small area's.

I have grown everything in buckets, just be sure to drill holes in bottom for drainage. 5 or 6 holes in the bottom or around the bottom edge. I use half leaves and soil, (no chemicals here at all) you can grow all veggies, flowers , herbs etc. what ever you heart desires, except a large tree or shrub, but you can also start them in there. If you get your seeds from a nursery you should be o.k. I have never had any problem with any seeds I bought from anywhere . Do not keep your new seeds very wet, spray them a bit with a weak tea solution - not soak them, and make sure they are out of direct sun till they have at least 2 or 3 set of leaves. I even get seed from drug store when the are on sale a 10cents a pack, and never have any problem with them. If you get a "thick " seed, like morning glory, (will need a trellis of some sort) be sure to soak them at least 8 hours to soften the seed, all hard and thick seeds should be soaked. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Go to www.gardenweb.com You will find forums about many - many subjects. You will be interested in container gardening, of course. But they have many named vegetables and flowers also seeds.

Be sure to save the pages to your favoriites list.

Good luck

I grow tomato plants, various herbs, and peppers in containers. They do quite well. I tried zuchinni two years in a row and it did poorly. I buy the tiny plants at the green house. I just have better luck. (I can't really grow much indorrs as I don't have proper light and the pets tend to distroy potted plants) It honestly doesn't cost that much when you consider that you aren't buying enought for a whole garden - just a few containers. Last year I splurged and bought one larger tomato plant. It produced so quickly that I plan to buy all large tomato plants this year. I have had some good results growing herbs from seeds. I bought a cilantro plant several years ago. It goes to seed mid summer and I just leave the pot alone, making sure it doesn't get too dry. The seeds re-sprout new plants for late summer. Then at the end of the growing season I move the pot to a sheltered spot. In spring, I sit it back out in the sun and make sure it gets watter and suddenly I have new cilantro plants!

hi thank you to all of you who posted i will try all of you suggestions denise

To find seed to plant you can find them in Hardware stores or look in ph book for seed & feed stores,we get seed in a Farmers exchange here,also the Dollar stores have seed,good luck.

I have lots of cats and am looking for empty plastic cat litter buckets. I need the kind that holds 30 to 40 pounds to reuse with cat litter that comes in a cardboard box. The buckets keep better outside than cardboard because of weather.

By Debra from Orange, TX

Answers

You can buy empty 5 gallon buckets with lids at most home repair stores or departments. Should cost $2-5. Might want to also check dollar stores.