Paint Color Advice for Child's Bedroom

We are remodeling upstairs in our home and I am trying to find the right color for my daughter's new bedroom. There is light pine wood on the ceiling which slants down on two sides and medium stained baseboards and trim around one big window that faces north.

The room gets medium light from window. We put an autumn forest wallpaper mural on one small angled wall which has all different greens in it. I'm thinking a green color for other walls, but cannot find the right green. We want a woodsy forest look in the room, but something that she will still like as she gets older (8 years old now).

Any suggestions of some colors (exact name and brand) would be great. I am looking at several brands, Sherwin Williams, Dutch Boy, Glidden, Pittsburg, Behr, Valspar, and Ace. Possibly thinking of doing the window wall a lighter color than other walls? Not sure. Thanks.

By Kathy

Let her pick the color out, just make sure it is something that will go with the mural.

Are you stuck on leaving the pine as it is? It would make your job a lot easier if you painted it out. Pine is not a great wood, nor expensive so painting it is not a sacrilege. On top of that the room ís not very bright and painting out the wood would make it much brighter. Give it some consideration.

If you choose to keep something like the mural you are making it more difficult later on because she will get sick of looking at the same sight all the time. With color, at least you have an easier chance of satisfying her changing tastes as she gets older by changing the accessories, curtains, comforter, etc.

Under no circumstances would I let a child choose the color of their own room. You are liable to end up with a purple room and orange polka dots. You might show her pictures in decorating magazines of childrens rooms and see what catches her eye. The library will provide you with lots of magazines to check out without having to buy them and she might enjoy the visit. Good luck.

Sherman williams has some great colors to paint a room.

High Strung SW6705 is a bright green that might work for you or Festival green SW6923<<--I think that is the color number.

Let your daughter choose. If everyone tires of it, it is only paint. Change it in a few years.

Personally I would have been upset with myself having those stripes of black, not in the corners. Here's why. It would be so cool if those black stripes could be black stripes in each corner of the walls. But since they aren't, here's what I'd suggest anyways.

<p>Paint the other side of the wall with black stripes on the corner only. The rest of the wall a tan color, not a really dark tan, more like a lighter tan to brighten up the room. If that doesn't look good, try again. I think a tan would look good. It's a good color to bring other colors into the room. Now, we have a general theme going green, black, and tan. It's like Africa, I would add some giraffes or some monkeys into the room, or something African that she may enjoy. To add some color, they have bedding I've seen that has tan with pink trim, you can add pink floor rugs, and pink items around the room. I think that would look cute. These are many ideas I get while watching HGTV.

Make sure you buy NO VOC or Low VOC paint. VOC = volatile organic compounds, which are solvents that makes paint smell and which gives off unhealthy gases, which can cause asthma attacks and other health problems. More paint companies are making greener paints replacing solvents with water based solutions.

You don't want your child breathing in solvents from regular paint which outgas for a long time even after seemingly dry.

May 5, 2010 Flag

I am looking for decorating ideas for my son's bedroom. He has a red car bed. What colour should I paint the walls?

By Christy from Ilderton, Ontario, Canada

Paint Color Advice for Child's Bedroom

Use a matching red for the wall where the bed is and another lighter color for the other three. The red should be repeated elsewhere, maybe the trim and/or door. The right warm beige might do on the other walls and ceiling. To make the room look larger, match the background of the curtains/drapes to the beige of the walls. I would suggest throw rugs on the floor to define areas and they should definitely be washable since this is a boy's room. Again repeat colors. If you go with the beige, a spot of vivid green might be considered. (04/03/2010)

By Chloelizabeth

Paint Color Advice for Child's Bedroom

I would use a color that's complementary to the bed, perhaps a sunny yellow, light on three walls and darker on the third. 0r just use the same tone for all. You could get or paint racing flags (a yellow and black checked flag, a red one, etc. for wall decorations). If you could find and old racing car set, you could attach it to the wall also. I think that they even make one now that will actually work when attached to a wall. If you're handy, you could paint one wall in large black and white checks and the other walls in white or yellow, etc. (04/04/2010)

Paint Color Advice for Child's Bedroom

My son's room is painted a deep bright blue in high gloss with white trim and he too has a red car bed. I also found at a yard sale, red race car valences. (04/05/2010)

By kghsave

Kids Room
Color Advice for Painting Kids Room
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceMay 5, 2010
Bedroom Paint Color Advice
Bedroom Paint Color Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets