Color Advice for Painting Kids Room

Category Painting
Kids Room
This is a guide about color advice for painting kids room. Making your child's room inviting and fun can be started with colorful walls.

This is a four color room to match the princesses that live within the walls. Each color represents a different part of the castle. The blue part is the Kitchen, the Yellow and Purple are the two Princesses rooms matching each girl's individual personality, and the last pink for a Princess play space to be a hit.

By Kelly

I have a little boys room that they have dark blue headboards. What would be a good color to paint their wall?

By guest client (Guest Post)

Yellow? Tan? I have 2 little boys in one room too. Check out glidden.com, they have an area where you can test colours in rooms online. We have been using Melamine paint, it's very scrubbable.

Have fun!

By guest client (Guest Post)

Color choices depend on the size of the room, other colors in the room and how much natural light the room gets. Bright colors like yellow, orange and red warm a room, while blue, green and purple cool a room. If the main purpose of the room is to sleep and to study, keep to the cool colors. If the room is small or there is a lot of furniture making the room seem small, stick to lighter colors to help the room seem larger (if there are 6 or 7 colors on a color strip, stay to the lightest 3). A contrasting color can add visual interest to the room and tie different things together. Are there several colors in the carpet? Do the curtains have any colors that you like? It doesn't have to be an exact match, just enough to tie things together. Use a bright, clean yellow or red to contrast a blue. To save youself time and money, take several different color swatches home, tape them to the wall (some are self stick nowadays) and live with them FOR SEVERAL DAYS. Do you like the color with the lighting in the room in the evening, or during the day when the sun shines in? Colors look different in the store under flourescent lights without any furniture or carpeting to fight with. If you still aren't sure about the color, buy a quart can and paint a 3 ft by 3 ft swatch on the wall or a piece of cardboard and live with that for a few days. You also need to consider the sheen level of the paint itself. Flat paint absorbs light and hides flaws, but can make a room seem smaller and is not a good choice in rooms that may need to have the walls cleaned frequently (kitchens, baths, childrens' rooms). Eggshell and satin reflect a little more light and are more scrubbable than flat (some flats are getting much better in this category); semigloss and gloss are the toughest finishes and reflect light the best, but they don't hide flaws very well. Beyond that, use your own personal taste. While Barney purple and neon green may seem great to some people, others prefer a more conservative look. Good luck and be brave, after all, you can always paint again if you don't like it.

By guest client (Guest Post)

My first instinct is Orange, this will complement the blue head boards well. You don't have to get a pure orange, you could get one with some yellow in it, Which isn't as drastic.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I would suggest red (you could continue with a patriotic or nautical theme), tan for something more sedate, or maybe do a denim treatment. This would result in a slightly lighter blue. White trim for contrast. Use accessories to keep the room from being too blue. You could always paint the headboards if you want to avoid blue altogether.

I think a light blue would complement that navy blue. Also, sometimes a yellow or lighter color would neutralize the strong blue, and yellow would make it a bit more gender-neutral. I hope that helps!

Shannon

By guest client (Guest Post)

Do you have their bedding? This helps with the theme of the room like rain forest, cowboy etc. Usually you can pull a color from it and go one shade lighter. Sherwin Williams will order larger samples for you to tape to wall if you need it. They are 8x10, so you can get a good idea on the shades.

Thanks for the advice ! I also have two little boys that share a room I'm thinking of a dark blue but not a navy .

Psychology of Color

Find a green color that goes with the blue. Green is a cheerful and relaxing color. It is the best for kids rooms. Don't paint it a bright, power color like orange or red. Red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. Yellow is not bad but people lose their tempers more often in yellow rooms. You can break all the rules in a kids room.

We have two single beds which has a red color header, dark blue footer and the sides of the beds are yellow. The wardrobe is also of the same colors as the beds. TV trolley is plain dark blue in color. Curtains are yellow in color with colorful umbrellas made on it. Kindly tell us if we need to paint the wall/s what color combination should we use. The room is shared by the brother and sister (age group 1-5 years). Your quick response will be highly appreciated.

I have a little boy room his headboard is sky blue what would be the best color to paint his room.

I HAVE A LITTLE BOY ROOM THAT HIS HEADBOARD IS PERRIWINKLE BLUE. wHAT WOULD BE THE BEST COLOR TO USE TO PAINT HIS ROOM

I am painting my son's new room from pink and I want to paint one wall darker than the other. What are two Blue colours that would go well together without making his room feel too small and dark?

I want to paint my sons room a blue color but I would like two contrasting colors. how do I go about which shade to pick light or dark blue and what contrasting color.

I'm in the process of painting my son and daughter's bedroom that they share, light blue and green. I thought about doing the bottom walls green and the top blue. Now I want to paint stripes. What would you suggest?

What color should I paint a kids room who has ADHD?

Chyna from New Iberia, LA

I would suggest blue, it is supposed to be a very calming color

i was also thinking blue. it is calming.

Cool colors are the most calming. Stick with any cool blue, green, violet, or in-between shades. I'd be careful to use a medium to light hue, since the darker versions are bolder and more energetic, which is contrary to what you are looking for.

i have a son with ADHD and i would say paint the room his favourite colour, just how far do you think this condition is going to affect you?

I'd like to suggest that it's not just about the color, but the atmophere created within the room. For kids with ADHD, a low-tension, calming, relaxing, safe environment is best, so please consider not only colors, but other sights, sounds, and even textures.

Blue is very calming, but all blue can be a bit depressing. Brown and green are colors to use with blue as they are all grounding and natural colors.

Hope that Helps.

Many years ago I saw a documentary on prisoners and how they painted a cell a strong pink. When a very violent prisoner was placed in this cell, after half an hour they calmed down completely. Prisoners who were placed in an normal cell were still very angry after an hour in there.

I know that pink may not be a good colour for a boy, or is this a girl that you are talking about?

We are remodeling upstairs in our home and I am trying to find the right color for my daughter's new bedroom. There is light pine wood on the ceiling which slants down on two sides and medium stained baseboards and trim around one big window that faces north.

The room gets medium light from window. We put an autumn forest wallpaper mural on one small angled wall which has all different greens in it. I'm thinking a green color for other walls, but cannot find the right green. We want a woodsy forest look in the room, but something that she will still like as she gets older (8 years old now).

Any suggestions of some colors (exact name and brand) would be great. I am looking at several brands, Sherwin Williams, Dutch Boy, Glidden, Pittsburg, Behr, Valspar, and Ace. Possibly thinking of doing the window wall a lighter color than other walls? Not sure. Thanks.

By Kathy

I want to paint my my son's room. What color should I go with? I have an 11 year old and a 6 year old. Can you please help.

By Danette from Evergreen Park, IL

My walls are a cream with gold colorant in it (I like to think of it as cake batter yellow), and my floors are a medium wood color. My glitter-fied 11 year old daughter's bedroom joins mine. I want to know if I can paint her room a different color, even though our rooms are connected (there is a door but no hallway). If I paint her room the same color, can I infuse pink or purple drapes with the current color scheme?

By Meche Q