Paint Color To Go With Black Cabinets

I have formica kitchen cabinets from the 1970's which are a dark brown woodgrain. I am thinking of painting them black and adding pewter or nickel knobs. Have you seen this done? What color would you suggest for the walls? I am leaning toward a creamy gold, moss green, or khaki.

Thanks,
Sue McKenna from Rochester, NY

With something so prominent and dark, you really should go light. Ivory would be pretty. White, if you are very brave, but it would be a bit stark. Your suggestion of buttery gold would work, in very muted, light tone. But go with what YOU like. Even if it is bright pink (shudder). If it makes YOU happy, then heck with what anyone else thinks.

Neat. I would go with either the creamy gold or moss green the khaki seems to colorless and the black cabinets will over rule the room. I love green myself but the creamy gold sounds very nice to and would add more light into your room the moss green might be a little dark in less it is a light shade. Lots of luck.

I have painted formica cabinets. One thing you have to do, is get them very very clean. I used a green scrubbie and TSP. You can buy that at a hardware store. Also, rinse them very well after they're clean. I also bought good quality paint because I wanted the job to last. I think it was an enamel. You'll love them after you're done. Much cheaper than replacing them. I think khaki or moss green would be beautiful for the walls. Very elegant!!

Sandy from Pittsburgh

I would suggest the yellow/gold family or the khaki. Go to your local home improvement store and look at their displays. They may have a black cabnet set up and you could see what colors they used.

You've gotten suggestions for all of your choices! I'd choose the moss green. It's a "cooler" color than the gold or khaki, which I think is better in a kitchen. The best way to decide, though, is to go to a hardware store where you can pick out a sample of the knobs and the paint and walk them over to something in the store that is black, then place them all together. Good luck!

I saw an ad with a black and cream color combo. It was a very nice contempory kitchen. They called it a tuxedo kitchen because it was of those colors... You might try to find an old Lowe's ad to see what I am talking about. I'd go with the cream or apple green. I once read an interior design article that said if you add something dark to a room you needed to add something light to a room to balance it off... Hope this is of some help to you. I have the same formica cabinets.. You may need to prime them or use a paint product called Magic Diamond, if I remember correctly. Its paint made for formica. If you dont apply the correct product your paint will chip off. Good luck..

i would want to get inventive with the knobs -

choose whatever size larger plain bead & hot glue any number or variety of items to the top -

old broche or pewter miniture or glass flowers or even get a few old silverplated pieces of flatware & drill holes for the screws & bend them a bit to form the handle

Just yesterday I painted my kitchen walls and cabinets. Previously it was white and beige. Blah. I painted the base cabinets black and the upper cabinets what I like to call Antique French's Mustard. It looks great! Three out of four walls are pale butter and the fourth is a medium moss green. It's all tied together with a print dish towel of bold spashes of red, green and gold on a black background. No more blah!

I think that a buttery gold as you mentioned, or camel (light), or oatmeal, would be very classy looking. I would get knobs for the cabinets made of wood & paint them the same shade as the walls.

You will need a curtain with some pattern to include these colours & a little of the green you mention maybe. What colour is your countertop...you need to consider that...you may have to go back to square one & ask again:)

Patsy

Paint Color To Go With Black Cabinets?

what is the best paint to use when painting cabinets black? I would like them not to be shiny.

I painted my kitchen cabinets black and did not like the moss with it. It looked to dark. If you go with that color choice then choice a green that is lighter. Also, my space is small you might take that into consideration.

I just finished doing the same thing. I have those same Formica cabinets and my friend suggested black. I thought ewwww no but I tried it.I really like it. My walls are khaki and I have used blue toile trimmed in black and some black accessories to even things out. I have a country kitchen and it looks very nice with the khaki. I love green but I think for my house the green would be too much dark for a kitchen. Good luck. It's not a small job when you paint your cabinets.

I just painted my cabinets black and the wall a color named "chicory" from Lowe's. It is wonderful together.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenNovember 21, 2005
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
🎉
🎄