RefinishingFurniture

Paint Still Sticky Long After Painting

I recently painted a bookcase for my daughters bedroom. I allowed plenty of time for the paint to dry but I'm finding that items seem to be "sticking" to the surface. Any suggestions?

bwaite64 from Laurel, MS

did you sand first, there are different types of primer based on the paint that is being used allow to dry and then paint

What color did you use?

If it was red, it takes a long time to dry.

I painted my basement a bright red and it took about 2 weeks to completely dry.

believe it or not, I painted my bedroom walls with a rust color about 2 yrs. ago and it is still alittle sticky....bought the paint at Lowes....

Question: IF the floor had a film of grease on it before you used the Kilz, that's another reason why floor won't dry. You can tell this if there is bleed through and the Kilz won't cover well.

I painted a new shed floor with Kilz over 24 hours ago and the floor is still sticky. I painted at 10:00 am; that night it rained, but the door was closed and no rain got inside. The temperature was in the mid 80s during the day and the low 60s that night. I checked the floor at 5 pm the next day and it feels sticky. What have I done wrong?

By Joyce

Even though the rain didn't get directly on the paint, the drying time is still being affected by the humidity in the air. Also, if you're having cool nights after warm days, the humidity in the air condenses on the ground during the night. Your lawn is probably damp in the morning, right? If that's the case, it's also affecting your outside paint job. You can't pull the humidity out of the air, so you'll just have to give it more time.

If you have electricity accessible in that area you might try using a fan. Humidity will effect the drying time.

Most likely humidity from the rain outside has something to do with it. Give it a bit more time.

You haven't done anything wrong. Anytime there is rain or humidity, it delays the paint drying process. I once painted a floor in the summer & it stayed sticky for about two weeks, but did eventually dry.