Removing Stains From Toilet Bowl

To clean stubborn stains from your toilet bowl, first if you have a wet/dry vacuum, suck out all the water so you have a virtually liquid free bowl. Then, pour in hydrogen peroxide. It will get rid of all stains and lime. I would suggest using 1/2 a bottle for each cleaning. You might need more or less.

It is cheaper than buying the cleaners made for a toilet bowl, even if you use a whole bottle of it. Many times you can get it on sale for 2 for $1.00. Don't buy any more than you can use before the date expires, because it will turn to water eventually and be ineffective.

Source: This Old House magazine and Eons group

By Elaine S. from Belle Plaine, IA

Top Comment

I use the following method:

1) Pair of rubber gloves

2) Fill standard water bucket with warm water, 2-3oz Bleach and some dish washing soap.

3) Pour into bowl all at once, it should remove about 85% of the water in the bowl. (this is called a 'Gravity Flush')

4) Repeat the process;again, it should be almost void of water.

5) With an old scrubber sponge, wipe down the inside of the bowl (don't be skittish; the bowl will have soapy water and bleach to eliminate any germs.)

6) Repeat Step $, but pour slowly until the water level appears 'normal'. Then stop, pour the remainder down the tub or hand basin.

7) Lower lid, you're done and the bowl is 100% sanitized.

Top Comment

I also use the gravity flush but then I follow it up with a squirt of CLR all around, topped by Comet cleanser, wait 5 minutes and use the toilet brush to finish. Been doing this for years.

Top Comment

Or you can just take your brush or plunger and push down the hole a few times and the water goes down the pipes. No wasting water with gravity flushes and there is enough water to mix with your bleach or peroxide. P.S. Don't use those tablets that you drop into your tank, they eat the pipes and the bowls.

A plumbers wife

Great tip. I'll try it next time. You're right, it is a lot cheaper than buying all those cleaners, and besides that it's not as harmful to the environment. Very important to our health too! I have a question. I've noticed that when someone posts a tip, everyone else tries to top it with their 2 cents? Go figure :S

I can't imagine having to haul my shopvac out to suck up water out of my toilet bowl.(fiddling around withremoving the dust filter, etc) Once a week I just pour one cup of bleach into the toilet water, let it sit for half an hour and use a toilet brush to scrub it all clean. If you have stains up underneath where the water comes out the holes, clorox spray works great, is compatible with the bleach, and sanitizes the germs. Much easier.

Well all of you who are bleach lovers, there is plenty of info out there on the dangers of bleach. Here is just one example. The trouble with bleach is that you don't know when you are using it how it can affect your lungs. ... /how-to-understand-why-bleach-is-bad

Wow, Elaine, I never thought to suck all the water out! I don't have a shop vac, but I do use a mop type toilet bowl cleaner which I plunge & it gets down pretty low. ( ... s-model-0400-doitbest-sku-419990.dib) I imagine a plunger would do the same. And a that's a great usage of HP, which is inexpensive & safe, I use it for a lot of disinfecting, it works well for the toilet & counters, though I mostly use vinegar. For daily cleanup I use a solution of water & DR Bronner's natural castille soap along with some baking powder for scrubbing. I am always so happy to read about safe (for you & the environment) thrify tips that I can add to my cleaning arsenal.

God Bless

Trish in CT

Toilet bowl
Cleaning Toilet Bowl Stains
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJune 23, 2011
A toilet being cleaned with blue water.
Cleaning Blue Stains in a Toilet
Toilet being scrubbed with a toilet brush by someone wearing pink rubber gloves
Cleaning Hard Water Stains from a Toilet
Cleaning a white toilet.
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipes
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet