Growing a Pine Tree

Does anyone know if a pine tree can be grown from a pine cone? Where are the seeds? Has anyone done this with success?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Sandra from Montvale, NJ

Answers:

Website

The following is a website that might help answer your question about growing a pine tree.

By Marge W.

Tips for Extracting Seeds

The seeds in a pine tree are located in the pine cone. The flaky dried seeds drop to the ground once the cone enlarges or opens up from its closed state. I've picked up many a pine cone to use as Christmas decorations (painting the tips white) and lots of little seeds are found on the table from handling. Gently tap the seeds from the cone and you'll get plenty enough for planting. I've never tried to plant a seed to see if will come up for me. Squirrels love the seeds in the young pine cones. Good luck.

By Lorelei

Different Pines Open Differently

Many pine cones, such as Jack Pine, are close tightly and open up, in nature, only after a forest fire. However, you may actually be talking about fir or spruce cones, which do drop their seeds, little flaky brown things, very easily. I have grown little blue spruce trees from seeds. They take a long time to grow to any size.

By Louel53

Keep It Well Watered

As the pine cone dries, the pods burst open and throw the seeds. I would put the whole thing in the dirt and keep it watered.

By Kathy

Harvesting Techniques

The seeds are in the pine cone. If the pine cone is open, it probably lost its seeds already. If it is still closed and puffy with a brownish color, the seeds are ripe. Dry out the pine cones in the sun, or in the oven at low heat. Once dry put them in a baggy and shake them. The seeds will come out.

By kbryson84

Post your ideas below.

The tree in this picture is a spruce tree. Pine trees have longer needles and more compact and coarser cones. If this is the kind of cone you are talking about, the seeds will just fall out as otheres have said, when the cone is dry.

Many years ago I read that you should put the cones in the regrigerator for a month or so to simulate the natural overwintering they would have outside. This readies the seeds to grow in the spring.

I have found the most beautifully shaped blue spruce ever noticed. It is extremely narrow and tall. The owner has allowed me to take some of the cones. My hope is that the seeds will produce trees of the same shape. I've read that several seeds should be planted and the blue ones kept. Inference is that not all seeds produce the same color as the parent. Will all of the seeds produce trees of a tall slender shape like the parent?

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceNovember 8, 2007
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
🎄
🍂