Key Locks Differently

I used to want to have all of my door locks to be keyed the same. However I have recently realized, that there are times when I'd like to be able to allow someone into my house, when I am away on vacation for example, or to check on my pets. If you have a doorknob lock keyed differently than the deadbolt lock, you can leave just one of them locked to allow someone with only that key to enter, and they won't be able to enter at other times.

By Lynn from Albany, NY

Maybe it would be a problem to have all (or most) of the doors keyed the same. If you ever have your keys or purse stolen, you would have to rekey the whole house again.

I think it's a personal choice. It sure would be nice to not to have to look for a different key. Then again if someone got your keys, they'd be able to get in any entrance. I have different keys for different doors.

I am confused, why would you give a key to someone to check on your pets, get your mail, water your plants, etc while you are away if you do not trust them? Because that is what it sounds like to me by stating you don't want them to enter at other times, which they wouldn't do IF they are trustworthy. I've had some of my friends and neighbors house

keys to help them out at different times over the years, and they mine. I still have most of them. The only time anyone has asked for the key back was if they were moving, or a famly member was coming by and didn't have their key so I could let them in.

Geez, I'd think if you trust someone to come into your home when you are not there, you wouldn't need to have different keyed locks to prevent that same person from entering your home at any time. Trust, not locks are the issue here!

I don't think it's a trust issue. Lynn just wants to make sure that people can't get in at inappropriate times. When I was house-sitting for a friend, I was expecting the family home Sunday night. Saturday evening, I went over late after I got home from work. I went in the house, calling the kitty and banging around getting cat food and water.

After feeding the cat, I turned around to face a very sleepy husband (wearing only his skivvies) with a baseball bat. Since his car was in the garage, I didn't know he came home a day early. And he was so tired, he didn't realize that it was me feeding the cat and not some burglar rummaging around in his kitchen.

Embarrassing! If he had done what Lynn suggested, the deadbolt would have been locked. I wouldn't have gone into the house and neighborhood cookouts wouldn't be so awkward. ;)

What about keypad door locks, which can be reprogrammed anytime you want? Last time I checked about 1 yr ago, they sold on eBay for around $80/ea, which seems like a reasonable investment to me.

Man Replacing Deadbolt and Door Lock on Door
Replacing Deadbolts and Door Locks
Better Living Safety HomeJune 22, 2009
Using a Keyless Remote
Using a Keyless Remote
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks
Security Lock
Inexpensive Security Locks
🎄
🍂