Replacing Deadbolts and Door Locks

Category Home Safety
You may have occasion to replace the deadbolts and door locks at your home either because they no longer work properly or for security reasons. This is a guide about replacing deadbolts and door locks.

I used to want to have all of my door locks to be keyed the same. However I have recently realized, that there are times when I'd like to be able to allow someone into my house, when I am away on vacation for example, or to check on my pets. If you have a doorknob lock keyed differently than the deadbolt lock, you can leave just one of them locked to allow someone with only that key to enter, and they won't be able to enter at other times.

By Lynn from Albany, NY

I have found that a cheap and easy way to increase security with deadbolts and door locks is to buy a box of 3 inch screws to secure the strike plate instead of the puny 3/4 inch screws that commonly come with a lockset.

I figured this out one time when I was looking at getting new door locks and noticed there was different "security levels" with the locksets. The only difference I could see with the higher security lockset was longer screws for the strike plates.

Where can I buy high security locks for cheap?

By noamyogev from LA

Answers

Get them at Office Depot from $5.00 up. Good luck.

If you want high security, it is unfortunate that you will need to pay a higher price. If you see cop shows and how easy it is to cut or break the standard locks, you know that those are not worth much.

You can get what are called disk locks, that you can see below. They are designed to have so little of the shaft exposed that you can't get a bolt cutter in them, and are very very sturdy.

They run from 13.00 to 18.00 and if you think about it, what is more important, a few dollars or a better chance of your items being safe?

How much is your safety or your life worth? When it comes to your security, you just can't be cheap. The bad guys know too many tricks.

Does anyone have one of those keyless locks on their door? What are your thoughts and experiences?

By sanemom4

Answers

My daughter does and loves it.

I love mine. No more keys to lose and you can change the combination code weekly if you want to. They cost about 80.00 to 100.00 but well worth it.

Good luck