Sanitizing Wipes for Cleaning Books

I love to buy books for my young grandchildren, but the costs of good books makes it impossible for me to buy them at the book store. I go to garage sales and buy like new books for well under $1.00. Many of them (like the pop up books), one can tell have not even been read.

But I am a germ fighter, so I use sanitizing wipes with alcohol that quickly evaporates and I quickly go over each page. The books are like new and I can be confident that my grandchildren can enjoy them without "catching" anything.

Be sure to use a sanitizing wipe that is child safe or wipe with a baby wipe after using the sanitizing ones, I have an extensive children's library for any age and I encourage them to take care of them so they can be re-cycled again.

By toebeanie

Do your grandchildren look at books or magazines a the doctor's office? Do they go to the library? Do they go to daycare or a babysitter? I understand your concern but you could probably save your money and not bother with the wipes. There are a whole lot of germs they are going to pick up from used books. I bought used books forever for my children and took them to libraries. They never got sick from books.

Nice idea but not needed.

I volunteered at the library and this is how they clean the grime off of the hard cover library books. The children's books get pretty nasty! We'd hit books that had obvious gunk on them as they came in and a couple times a year they'd have voluteer days and run through every book in the children's section.

With all the new hardy germs/diseases from who know s where, I'm not taking chances with MY great grands.

Thanks for posting this idea. I have used peroxide or alcohol dampened paper towels long before "wipes" came along to wipe down anything that might cause concern. And yes we all use the wipes at the markets and the hand gel when shopping. GG Vi.

How do you know they did not get sick from a book unless they have never been sick? Children can pick up germs and carry them 2 weeks before they get sick. I work with children and even thou we are careful they put the books that the library lady from our local library brings every month in their mouth sometimes. I would at least use a wipe to wipe the book down no matter where you get it!

I agree. Using sanitizing wipes is a must for any used book, and anything from a thrift or second hand store.

Sure kids can pick up germs from lots of places, but that doesn't mean we as caretakers should become complacent with their safety.

One comment said germs can be carried around for 2 weeks? Well, boggers can dry up on a surface and be carried around indefinitely! And when they get moist they spring back to life life a dehydrated tomato soaked in hot chicken soup. Except boogers can carry disease and germs of an untold dangerous magnitude.

So please don't take this threat lightly, use sanitizer wipes every time!

Cleaning Paperback Books
Cleaning Paperback Books
Home and Garden Cleaning Books and PapersFebruary 15, 2011
Rubber cleaning glove giving a thumbs up.
Homemade Cleaning Wipes
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Baby Wipes Container
Uses for Baby Wipes
homemade boogie wipes
Homemade Boogie Wipes