Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Whitening Yellowed Fabric

I have some old white t-shirts that were packed away that have turned yellow. How can I return them to white?

By Lisa from Cincinnati, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Dorothy [1]08/17/2010

I would try adding baking soda to the wash, an extra boost would be to stop the cycle and let them soak for 15 mins or so. I use baking soda all the time and my whites are really white.

By cettina [74]08/15/2010

As long as they are just white with no other color,run them through the washing machine using dishwasher powder.

By Louise B. [4]08/14/2010

Tee shirts are likely made of cotton. I would try laundering them in hot water with bleach, and then hanging them in the sun.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Whitening Yellowed Fabric

How do I whiten, yellowed white nylon fabric? The fabric is actually 86% supplex and 14% lycra. Thank you!

By Pamm from Zionsville, IN