Whitening Your Teeth

Your dentist will certainly provide tooth whitening services, but you can save money by using, at home, alternative methods. This is a guide about whitening your teeth.

My mom told me that you can dip your wet tooth brush into a bottle of peroxide, then brush your teeth with it. Over time, your teeth will become much whiter. Just don't swallow the peroxide. I have found that it works after about a week of daily use. The bottle of peroxide only costs .99 at most drug and food stores.

By McCollonough from TN

I had a date with my dentist today and asked him about something I read on ThriftyFun. He said never use the hydrogen peroxide full-strength in your mouth. Said full-strength it is damaging to tissue. He said to dilute Hydrogen Peroxide to one part Hydrogen Peroxide and 2 parts water. I tried it full-strength a couple of times, but rinsing out after caused pain so I think I'll take his advice.

BTW, Hydrogen Peroxide foamed inside my mouth, as it's supposed to. It felt weird. Google the subject to get more opinions.

By Chuck from OH

Salt has natural preservatives for marinating foods. It is also good for removing stains and grease. The salt also can be a teeth whitening and can prevent of bad breath.

Just put a 1 teaspoon of salt over your toothbrush. Brush your teeth, your tongue and gums for 1 minute and gargle with water. You will have a stronger and whiter teeth!

Be sure to use rock salt.

This is a guide about frugal teeth whitening. Although the price of professional teeth whitening has come down, it can still be outside of your budget.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When using Crest Whitestrips (and using their $7.00 coupon, of course), don't throw away the little whitening part that doesn't peel off. Instead, use scissors to cut it to fit your teeth, then apply as usual. You can get 50% more use out of the strips this way!

By Kristi

How do I whiten teeth?

By Peter from Washington, UK

Answers

Best Answer

I have had good luck using the Arm & Hammer Whitening Booster. It's sold near the toothpaste in stores. You put some of this on with your toothpaste when you brush. It does make teeth a few shades whiter. No sensitivity issues and inexpensive - under $6.

Best Answer

Baking soda and peroxide. Mix into a paste. Brush with this prior to brushing with tooth paste. Drink coffee, tea and all dark sodas thru a straw as it will not get on front of the teeth this way.

Best Answer

Crest white strips work beautifully. You will have to invest some money at first, but they last a long time. They are easy to use and work great. I had mine professionally done and it didn't last at all. Now I use the Crest strips every few weeks for a few days. You don't have to use them every day, just a few days at a time.

Best Answer

Try brushing with a paste of baking soda and water. You will have to get used to the taste but after a while you get used to it.

Best Answer

Plus White is the brand (12 bucks) and there's a lot of uses in one tube
of it, as it's about the size of a tube of toothpaste.

Dull dingy teeth from smoking or drinking coffee (gone in 5 minutes).

I just found an old almanac that said Rose of Sharon (also known as hibiscus or althea) will whiten your teeth "like a miracle". But it didn't say what part of the plant to use or how to use it. Has anyone ever heard of this? Does anyone know how it works? The whitening products you buy from the store don't work very well. I've got a yard full of these shrubs, I'd certainly like to try it.

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Well, being a dental hygienist, let me offer some tips to get your smile up to the blinding level. Whitening techniques tend to fall into two groups: one, the abrasive camp, the baking soda/ pumice/ charcoal/ oystershell/and so on. You can rub some baking soda or 'whitening' toothpaste into your teeth with a little bit on a damp washcloth, so that you can get some pressure, and use it like a pencil eraser on visible stains. Come to think of it, some have tried a pencil eraser or the old typewriter eraser (too harsh). Most of what's in the stores is abrasive mode. The second group is the peroxide group, 'bleaching' with oxygen microbubbles (there's no Chlorox in it, that would be toxic and not helpful). The brush-on products are weak and not in contact with your teeth long enough to work at all. The strips are great, can be used daily, will remove deeper stains into the surface, contain effective concentrations of carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide (the carbamide gel lasts longer).
The methods at the dentist office can get things much whiter faster, some even using a blue light to give the total tune-up in only an hour. Very effective but costs more, get the quote, see if your doc ever does a sale or would do a special for charity. A vanity thing like smile whiteness is perfect for a charity effort. There are some stains that will only come off by the blades your hygienist uses, and no whitening is any substitute for your regular care with the office, what good is a pretty smile when you know it hides a bunch of disease? it would only be a nervous smile, not a confident flash. There is general yellowing that is aging related, which responds well to the peroxides. Many people get sensitive teeth to the strips, so it can make sense to ask about what you plan to do at your next visit there. I did, and I waited a week, restarted, stopped, waited a week, cycles like that, and now they are never sensitive. I like working in this day and age where things people used to be sort of stuck with are now fixable, and anyone who has to deal with the public or even live with the mirror can get some smile flaw corrected and move on. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but can't think what. Don't the beauty contestants do lip stretching exercises to get their smiles WIDER? Good luck and let us know how things turned out!

Does anyone have an advice about teeth whitening with benzoyl peroxide?

Monica from Kailua Kona Hawaii

Answers

Best Answer

My dentist suggested using the hydrogen peroxide because it is a lot cheaper ... also the label says: for use as a gargle and rinse on the bottle.

I am not familiar with benzoyl peroxide. Check with your dentist if you are in doubt.

I leave a small residue of toothpast in my mouth after brushing and add just a little bit of peroxide and it foams up ... you may have to spit some of the foam out. Keep it in your mouth for a minute, then rinse.

Helps to remove stains on the cheap!

I have barely any enamel on my teeth. And I brush my teeth every morning and right after I shower (which is when I get home from school). I heard banana peels whiten your teeth so I've been using that, but my mom said it only works for people with enamel on their teeth. Is that true?

By Sara B

Answers

I suggest you use the toothpaste called ProEnamel by Sensodyne. You want to preserve the enamel on your teeth. Forget about the banana peels and whitening your teeth with home remedies. You could seriously damage your teeth.

Also - if you have no enamel - you'll want to ask your dentist about treating your teeth with flouride treatment at home - it will help to save your teeth from deteriorating further. I've sued it for a long time and it's helped immensely. it's in a tube like toothpaste.

Under the enamel of your teeth is what is called dentin, and its darker and softer than enamel and very easily damaged. Traditional bleaching/whitening is used on the enamel, making it very porous and staining more easily. Dentin is already in this condition. If you have exposed dentin I wouldn't be looking to alter the color in any way.

One option may be cosmetic dentistry down the line, but honestly, the best case is to keep what you do have healthy, which sounds like you're doing. Personally, I can't stand the look of bleaching. I think it looks so unnatural and freakish. I hope you can learn to be comfortable with the natural color of your teeth.

How do you use banana peels to whiten teeth?

By Anne

Answers

I googled it and a dentist tried it but didn't see much difference. Find out for yourself with all these articles to choose from.

https://www.goo  1024&bih=677

Good Luck
PBP

Do you using full strength peroxide along with toothpaste to whiten teeth or do you dilute the peroxide?

By Cheryl

Answers

No, no, no on the straight peroxide. Ask your dentist if you don't believe me.

What's the fastest, most effective remedy for brighter, whiter teeth?

By GennyF from Los Angeles, CA

Answers

Plus White is the brand of gel that has worked for me for 20 years.

If you have crowns that are whiter than your own teeth, can you use a tooth whitener that will whiten your teeth, but not the crowns?

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Whiter Teeth

You don't have to worry about it. Tooth whiteners have no effect on crowns. Whether you buy the Crest strips or pay for it at the dentist. The first thing they will tell you is it will not change the color of the crowns. (04/28/2010)

By Lilac

What are the best teeth whitening remedies?

By sylka from New York City, NY

Answers:

Whiter Teeth

Baking soda and peroxide. Mix into a paste. Brush with this prior to brushing with tooth paste. Drink coffee, tea, and all dark sodas through a straw as it will not get on front of the teeth this way. (09/19/2009)

By tami333

Whiter Teeth

And if you use peroxide orally be sure to rinse your mouth really well with water and always be sure to rinse well with water even after using mouthwash or after brushing teeth. Peroxide, and even some special fluoride or whitening rinses and pastes can give some people Black Hairy Tongue. One of my girlfriends has it right now from using a special fluoride paste and she is having to use medicine to get rid of it. drdonnica.com (09/22/2009)

By Deeli

Whiter Teeth

I usually brush my teeth with a toothpaste that has whitener and I leave it in my mouth for 5-10 minutes. Just sit and surf the net for those 5-10 minutes and the time goes by faster. The best whitener that I've used is Crest Extra Whitening. It's not as harsh as other toothpastes. Flossing also helps whiten teeth. (11/14/2009)

By Grace325

I would love to have whiter teeth, but when I use the teeth whitening products on the market I get mouth sores and even have a strange soreness to the back of my throat for a few days. Does anyone know of anything else to use besides those strips and trays?

By notwrong

Answers:

Whiter Teeth

I have used a peroxide rinse for years, and get frequent compliments on my teeth. Before you brush, combine hydrogen peroxide and water in a Dixie cup (about 2/3 peroxide and 1/3 water.) Rinse, swish and gargle until it's gone. Then brush with your favorite toothpaste.

Do this twice a day, and people will notice the difference and it's thrifty. (06/11/2009)

By KareninMissouri

Whiter Teeth

I simply dip my toothbrush into baking soda and add paste and it has helped my teeth a lot plus your mouth will feel fresh. (06/12/2009)

By Lisingreece

Whiter Teeth

I use the baking soda paste, too. Peroxide rinse also works, but some people are susceptible to getting "hairy tongue" (can't remember the medical term for it) so be sure to rinse your mouth well with water after using the peroxide rinse. (06/12/2009)

By Deeli

Whiter Teeth

I have had good luck using the Arm and Hammer Whitening Booster. It's sold near the toothpaste in stores. You put some of this on with your toothpaste when you brush. It does make teeth a few shades whiter. No sensitivity issues and inexpensive and under $6. (06/25/2009)

By OliveOyl

Whiter Teeth

You know, most of the whiteners sold commercially damage our teeth and are harmful to our bodies. Also, these methods are overpriced and don't give good results unless used all the time, which makes people have weird side affects. But the most annoying thing is that people can whiten their teeth for about $15-$25 and get wonderful results over time.

My method is that you should get a good spinning brush. These provide a thorough clean. Get a whitening toothpaste, but maybe a healthy one that tells you it whitens by removing stains (Crest Pro Health and Colgate Whitening are a few), but the toothpaste isn't the key. A regular toothpaste is fine. Floss twice daily and brush after every meal. The key is a gum stimulator, which you would find familiar in the pictures on google.com and is available on the shelf of most drugstores. Over time, being hygienic in your mouth will remove stains and give you white teeth. (07/12/2009)

By Cara

Tips for whitening your teeth. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Whiter Teeth With Baking Soda

To whiten teeth, put your toothpaste on a "dry" toothbrush and dip your toothbrush with the paste on it in baking soda and brush teeth with that. You will notice the difference in about four days, but after that, this method should only be used occasionally.

By truerblue (04/01/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Whiter Teeth

Brush teeth using a paste made of baking soda and peroxide. Doesn't taste very good, and you may look like a rabid dog while brushing, but it whitens. (04/01/2005)

By austin95mom

Whiter Teeth

In addition to the baking soda and peroxide; add some salt. Only use occasionally and brush gently.
(04/01/2005)

By mkymlp

Whiter Teeth

You can buy products now in the drugstore that are nearly as good as the expensive ones dentists provide. I had my teeth whitened by our family dentist many years ago, but they had started to get stained again over time. I bought the "paint-on" whitener, drugstore brand, for $10.00 and was very happy with the noticeable and considerably cheaper results. You have to stay with the process and your teeth will become a bit sensitive for a few days, but it works. By the way, the dentist's system also made my teeth sensitive, so why pay more. After the process, don't smoke, keep coffee, tea and red wine to a minimum and and you'll look great. (04/01/2005)

By Mary

Brushing with Baking Soda

Using baking soda with a little bit of water, just enough to form a paste, and brushing it on your teeth whitens your teeth.

By gypsy_rose93 (05/11/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Whiter Teeth

If you combine baking soda and lemon juice it makes a great teeth whitener. And it works especially good if you need the pearly whites in a hurry.(06/24/2005)

By Melania

Editor's Note: The acid in lemon juice is believed to damage the tooth enamel. Use only occasionally.

Whiter Teeth

Put about a half shot of peroxide in your mouth (do "not" swallow), swish for about 60 seconds, spit it out and rinse, then brush as usual. Do this once a day until you get the desired results. (01/25/2009)

By melmarr