Frugal Teeth Whitening

Although the price of professional teeth whitening has come down, it can still be outside of your budget. This is a guide about frugal teeth whitening.

Clean your teeth by chewing on a raw potato. It works fast and better than those expensive whiting strips!

By Ann from Saint Peters, MO

I am so excited to share this Thrifty tip with everyone! Do you use those expensive teeth whitening kits? Here's a very inexpensive tip to maintain your very white "pearly whites". The Dollar Tree carries teeth whitening kits, and they work! The directions state that you use the product for five minutes. I did that at first. Now, I leave the product on my teeth for thirty minutes, (with no adverse effects as I can see or feel) daily or every other day, and my tooth whiteness is maintained!

The kit even comes with a very effective tray which holds the product to your teeth - no slipping around in your mouth, etc. In fact, I like the tray so much, I've used it with the expensive whiteners as well.

By carla from Greensboro, NC

I am a college student without any money and I was wondering if anyone knew of any inexpensive ways I could whiten my teeth at home, without spending money on whitening solutions. I don't need them whitened a whole lot, just a shade or two would be great.

Thanks
Kaytee from Greenville, SC

Answers:

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Buy a cheap small box of baking soda. (Probably .50 at Dollar General or WalMart) Moisten your toothbrush with water and then press the bristles into the baking soda and brush away. Rinse your mouth with plain water.

Also do the hydrogen peroxide rinse mentioned earlier. It's cheap too. $.50 or $1.00 depending on the size of the bottle. Keep it tightly capped. (01/17/2007)

By Marge Mayhew

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Sure. I know of one that is cheap and you can make at home, just use Baking Soda and lemon juice and make into a paste, but don't use this too frequently though as lemon is acidic and wears down the enamel on your teeth.

When you just want the whitest teeth then use my recipe it works inexpensively and gives the same results, leave the paste on for about five minutes then brush with cool water then rinse. Don't brush too hard you could irritate your gums with this method a gentle cleaning is all you need, here's to your pearly whites. (01/18/2007)

By Darrel

Cheap Teeth Whitening

I use baking soda and regular fluoride paste (Colgate) I have been getting many nice remarks. (01/18/2007)

By Sharon

Cheap Teeth Whitening

I learn on my own experience that if you eating every day 2-3 apples you will see a great change. It's healthy and cheap. (01/18/2007)

By ENA

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Consumer Reports recently reviewed some of the top toothpastes that claim to whiten your teeth. Believe it or not, Ultrabrite Advanced Whitening which costs only about 99 cents for a 6 oz. tube was at the top of their list. That was enough to convince me to switch. Plus I always try to brush my teeth after my morning cup of coffee (I hear some people will even drink their coffee through a straw in an effort to keep their teeth white). (01/18/2007)

By Kathy

Cheap Teeth Whitening

It sounds too easy, but rinsing with Listerine mouthwash (any flavor) for 30 sec a night works. My husband started using the rinse (as a suggestion from the dentist) because he didn't like flossing. A side effect was noticeably whiter teeth. (01/18/2007)

By timmel

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Take some salt and add lemon to it and brush slowly. Your teeth will shine. (01/21/2007)

By chinto

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Thanks for the very practical advice, Grandma Margie. I can also add that a $.50 lemon can be mixed with baking soda into a paste that helps with whitening. Boy, talk about cheap teeth whitening solutions. The only caveat I have read about is that you have to be aware of eroding your teeth enamel if you use this too liberally. There are also free trials of products out there. (07/29/2009)

By Blane Pierce

Anybody know of any inexpensive ways to whiten teeth?

By Tina

Answers:

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Whitening solutions will ruin your teeth! I used them in my early twenties and they rotted my molars. I am a heavy smoker and super heavy coffee drinking.

I started wetting my toothbrush and sticking it in my Arm and Hammer box. I use my toothbrush and brush all of my teeth the same as if I had toothpaste on it. I then rinse and brush with my regular toothpaste which is Sensodyne whitening. I have been doing this for about two weeks and my teeth have never felt cleaner and they are actually lightening! I am impressed!

One thing to caution. I was using it daily but it seems to irritated the inside of my lips. I am a lip bitter and it made it stand out. So, if you bite the inside of your lips, you might want to do this every other day. I do mine 3 times a week now. (08/22/2009)

By Rose

Cheap Teeth Whitening

I'm pretty sure I saw this on ThriftyFun awhile ago. The Dollar Tree sells a tooth whitening gel and it comes with a tray. It's very easy to use and is made of the same peroxide that you can buy from the dentist for $5 a tube with no tray. (08/23/2009)

By merlene smith

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Use Peroxide as a mouth rinse and hold it for a while. Our dentist said this was the best and safest way. (08/24/2009)

By Danialle

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Brush your teeth with baking soda and rinse with peroxide. Continue to brush your teeth with a fluoride based toothpaste at least once a day. (09/12/2009)

By Aliesha

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Do not use straight baking soda regularly, it is much too abrasive. Your teeth look whiter because you're wearing away the enamel. Whitening gels will not rot your molars, cavities will. A once in a while light brushing with baking soda is a good 'deep cleaning'

Crest White strips work well. The trays and gels from the dentist though are the best bet and most predictable. (09/18/2009)

By Jen

This was a tip from my dentist. Mix a teaspoon or two of peroxide and equal amount of water and swish around in your mouth.