Cooler Jug of Water for Summer

With the dog days of summer upon us, I thought I would share my frugal tip for staying hydrated. I carry an insulated 18 oz. container filled with water. And I have a larger 64 oz. cooler jug filled with water for refills. When mine runs empty, I can pour some from the jug. It really saves from buying drinks at the stores. Plus, it's a great way to keep my 4 wonderful blessings hydrated as well. This probably seems like common sense to some of us, but maybe it will help someone. I just hate spending money when I don't have to. Stay hydrated this summer!

By Carlene from Fayetteville, NC

I always take water with me when I go out. That is what I usually prefer to drink anyway and saves me from having to go to a drive-thru. I especially like to take ice water with on garage sale days!

We keep the smaller sizes of water bottles which we refill from our tap at home, frozen in our freezer, to pack in a small ice chest in our car. We add a couple of bottles that are not frozen to drink in the early part of the day (or trip) which are cooled by the frozen ones, and as the frozen ones thaw, we have ice water. Just be careful, as the frozen ones tend to "sweat" if you leave them out in the car, so remember to wrap with napkins, or place folded napkins in your cup holders. And I agree, this saves a lot of money. We never buy drinks anymore at the drive thrus! And you never know when your car may break down and you're sitting on the side of the road in the heat, and having ice water would be a blessing!

I also do this, particularly when I have the 3 kids with me. Sometimes I put a little cordial in their water bottles and then keep plain water in a cooler jug. I also have purchased a thermos and fill it with tea or coffee if I can going out for the day. I also have a thermal cup so that if I am going shopping, I can fill my cup when I park the car and wander around the shopping centre with my coffee. Saves on having to buy coffee.

Speaking of dog days, be sure to take a water bowl along for your doggie. I leave a clean plastic container from cottage cheese or sour cream in the car just in case DD gets thirsty too.