New Upholstered Sofa Transfers Dye to Clothing

Friday my newly re-upholstered red microsuede sofa was returned after being re-upholstered. It's beautiful, but the red seems to "run" on white/light fabrics. The man who did the work said he could see it rubbing off on his clothes, some, also.

The fabric wasn't cheap, $25 a yard, so I don't feel it's the quality. I'm going back to the fabric store today to see if they have any solutions, but in the meantime, I luckily ran across your webite and hoped I might get some answers there. Any ideas as to how to stop it?

By Marsha

That is one of the hazards of red. I guess I never thought about furniture doing that. But I imagine it is possible. I know I never bought red sleepwear for my kids because my mother in law had the experience years before of red sleepwear having the color rub off on the bedding, and it wouldn't wash out.

I might try scotch-guard. I was told by a sales person that if I used that on my garden flags they would not fade as much. Good luck. :)

I would think the fabric manufacturer should be held responsible, in the very least there should have been a warning about it. I would go back to the fabric store and complain.

I too would use the scotch-guard, but I would first take a damp rag with as much of the water squeezed out and wipe it down. Do this at least a couple of times while allowing to dry in between. This way you're taking off some of the excess dye just like new clothes bleeds in the washer. Then when completely dry follow the instructions with the scotch-guard.

Hope this helps.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasJuly 21, 2010
Upholstered arm chair.
Cleaning Upholstered Furniture
clothes iron
Crafts Using Iron On Transfers
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄