Keeping Baby Socks Together in the Wash

Baby socks are very small and easy to lose track of in the laundry. Keeping you baby socks together will making putting your baby's clothes away much easier after the wash is done. This is a guide about keeping baby socks together in the wash.

Pairs of Baby Socks on a Clothesline
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

After having a baby, I quickly learned how easily baby socks can get lost in the wash. Even if my son's tiny socks made it through the full laundry cycle, I was finding myself spending considerable time matching the socks with their mates. That's when it occurred to me! I saw a safety pin sitting on my table and decided to try safety pinning the socks together before they got thrown into the dirty laundry!

This has proven to be the best time saving trick I've ever implemented! So much so that I have even started safety pinning my own socks before they go into the wash! I highly recommend you give this one a try - you won't regret it and will quickly realize how much time you were unnecessarily spending matching socks.

By brsimons from Milwaukee, WI

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put your baby's tiny socks into a zippered lingerie bag when you put them in the washing machine. They won't get lost, so this cuts down on unmatched socks and the subsequent replacement costs.

By Lisa

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use an under-bed organizer with dividers to sort my socks right out of the dryer. Each member of my household has a slot. Then when I go to match the socks up, the are already all in one place per person, and the "leftovers" have a place to live until their mates show up.

By Lori from Minneapolis, MN

Answers:

Keeping Track of Socks

Good Idea. I have a "clothesline" in the laundry room. If I have a sock without a mate, I safety pin it to that clothesline until the mate shows up. Easy to see and pretty much out of the way.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL (03/13/2010)

By PookaRina

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a full-time job, and didn't have time to sort socks when I did the laundry. I bought different size pins and had my daughter and my husband pin their socks together when they took them off. They were laundered with the pin in, and never got mixed up with any other socks. They took the pin out when they wore them and kept the pin for them when they took them off again.

By Jeannette from Cumberland, MD

Answers:

Safety Pin Socks Together Before Washing

I've tried that and the noise it makes in the dryer isn't worth the small convenience. (05/19/2010)

By Thursday_Next

I used to do this with baby socks since I had a washer that ate them. I had large diaper pins which I used. I put all my dirty baby socks on one pin and kept spare pins for extra loads. I did this for school socks, too. (05/21/2010)

By MartyD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Having raised 4 daughters I always had tons of single socks to pair up. Many remained mysteriously single. Remedy to this day: always safety pin socks together before going into the hamper. Problem solved!

By sar4girls

Answers:

My daughter lives with me. We have socks that are alike. Same brand. I pin my socks at the top and her socks at the toe. It has worked for us. Whoever does the laundry knows the owner of the socks. Great idea, thanks (01/14/2010)

By Judith1951

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tips to help keep socks together.

Keep Them Together When You Take Them Off

Another way not to have lost socks. Teach everyone in the house that when they take off their socks, flip one of the edges over the other sock to keep them together

By Lisa

Buy The Same Socks

I have found the best way to keep socks together is to find a brand you like and buy 10 or 15 pairs that are all the same color, etc. You never worry about 'matching' just stick two together.

By Brook

Safety Pins

To reduce lost socks I managed to convince my husband to do what I have done for years - safety pin the socks together at the toes before putting in the hamper. I started doing it when I was young to keep from getting my sisters socks, now it prevents lost socks!

By Deanna

Prevent losing odd socks in the laundry and help in sorting them: With five kids, it was easy to lose socks, I finally bought small safety pins. I would pin the pairs of socks at the toes before washing, that way no sorting afterwards. Can roll up socks with pin still in. When worn, pin can be put inside near the top so it is not seen. Hopefully, the kids (and husbands) will learn to pin them together when they take them off, to save you the trouble of doing this.

By Linda

What I do is very simple. I take put my socks on a big safety pin. I can pin 5 pairs together. Then they stay together in the washer and dryer. For mens socks you can get a bigger safety. I have kept my socks together for years by doing this.

By tashface

Mark Your Socks

I have white socks for the most part and I buy them in packs of 12. I use 4 colored markers to put dots or Roman numerals on the bottom of each pair. 3 with red, 3 with blue, etc. Then I separate them after the wash. You can use whatever color shows up best on any socks.

Bob

A Seperate Bag for Socks

Everyone in our house has their own hamper - the freestanding "pop-up" type. I clothespinned a mesh lingere washing bag to everyone's hamper and trained them to put socks and tights in there. No more single socks!

If for some reason we do find single socks lying around they go directly into the hamper. When I pull one out of the dryer I then know to put it in the "single sock" basket to await it's mate. Every few months I throw out any unmated socks.

By Lilygloves

Sock Drawer

When hanging socks I hang them together, however, there are times when a single sock surfaces for these times I have an odd sock drawer in the loungeroom near where I fold the clothes. Anytime I come across a sock on its lonesome I just put it into the drawer. Every now and then I pull out the drawer and pair them up.

By Tanya

Sock Bag

My son and husband have no problem putting their clothes in the hamper, except for their socks. So I have a plastic bag with handle that you get from the store hanging on the inside bedroom doorknob and they put their socks in it and I gather them up on wash day. I tried the saftey pin idea and they wouldnt do it and also clothespin but alas, no.

By christi

My Strategry

After losing too many socks to the 'sock monster' in our home, I now buy one colour of socks in the same size for all four of my children. They are 9 (boy), 7 (girl), 6 (girl) and 4 (girl); since being so close in age their feet are not drastically different in size (the boy's socks are shorter on the leg and the younger girls' socks are higher on the leg but they all prefer it that way).

In the winter (we live in Ontario, Canada) the kids wear black socks. It's not necessarily fashionable but it is practical. Dirt does not stain the socks, no more 'unmated' socks and since they are all the same size, matching is simple. In the summer the girls' like to wear pink socks and so the same goes as for the black socks.

Each Spring and Fall I go sock shopping since by the end of the season the socks are becoming worn through or stretched out. Whenever a sock is worn, I can throw it out without having 'single' socks. The 'good' sock pairs I keep as extras for those weeks when laundry is not being done as quickly as it should.

Now I need to convince my husband to not keep worn out, holey and stretched socks for 'just in case'. I am learning to inspect each sock as it comes through the wash or we end up with many socks that are unwearable.

By Michelle

Post your ideas below.

Answers:

Keeping Socks Together

Here is an idea for keeping your socks together and a fast way to match them. When you take your socks off each night safety pin the pair together at the toe. Then when you go to wash and dry them they will still be together, you will never loose another sock again! It's great and you never have a basket of socks that needs to be matched, it saves so much time.
(08/31/2005)
By Lindsay

Keeping Track of Socks

To keep my socks together I use the safety pin method. I buy the large safety pins and immediately when I take my socks off I pin them together and put them in the hamper. That way I always have a pair of socks...not just one. Of course, I can't get my husband or daughter to do that and because they won't, they have to sort their own socks. (06/16/2006)

By Rubyred

Keeping Track of Socks

An easyway to keep socks together is to use a product called sock-locks.They are plastic rings about one and a half inches in diameter that you slip both socks through and it holds them together during washing and drying.They are hard to find but they really do the trick. (09/08/2007)

By dkw144

Keeping Track of Socks

I have another great idea for socks that I read about years ago in a womans magazine.

It's so simple! Just buy the same sock style and color in the amount you need. For example, now I buy my husband around two weeks worth of black socks in the same style!

Magic - no more hunting for matching socks! Also, when I buy a replacement batch, I just throw out all of the other socks since they all wear out at the same time.

Genius is so simple, isn't it?! (09/08/2007)

Keeping Track of Socks

I have another good idea for keeping track of socks.

I use a mesh laundry bag, like the kind used for lingerie, and put all of my dirty socks in the bag. No missing socks at the end of the wash cycle!

Just get a large enough bag. I buy my bags at Walmart or Target types of stores, but I've even found them at large drug stores, like Walgreens.

Pretty cool! :)

(09/08/2007)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use safety pins to keep socks together when washing. No more losing one sock. I also put a color stripe on sock so I know whose is whose.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To save time and keep socks from losing their mates, I use safety pins to keep them together before tossing in the laundry basket.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use a safety pin to keep socks together while doing laundry. It's so worth the time to safety pin them together right when you put them in the dirty clothes hamper.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryOctober 14, 2011
Craft Ideas for Socks
Craft Ideas for Socks
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 3:17:12 PM on 10.0.2.84 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.