Use Old Pantyhose to Keep Rain Barrel Water Clean

I've discovered that when collecting rain in your rain barrel, you can put a leg from a pair of pantyhose over the end of your downspout. It keeps the water clean, especially if your gutters have any debris in them. I hold the pantyhose material on with an elastic band, which makes it easy to remove and rinse off when it gets dirty. I also use an old window screen over the barrel to keep mosquitoes out, and keep any wildlife from falling into the barrel. Hope these ideas are useful.

By Judy from Williamsburg, Ontario

What an awsome idea! Too bad it might be hard to find a device to put on the rain barrel that would do that same thing to keep out "stuff"! I know pulling up the leaves on cauliflower and covering the plant with a cut off section of panty hose helps to keep those pesky moths off and the larvae too! Great hint - thanks!

Pantyhose
Uses for Old Pantyhose
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterJuly 30, 2008
Green Rain Barrel
Make Your Own Rain Barrel
Panty Hose
Pantyhose Tips and Tricks
Rain Drops on Leaf
Rain Garden Basics
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain
🎉
🎄