Craft: Easy Pleated Tote Bag

I made this tote bag using this tutorial:

They are easy to make and loads of fun creating your own design. I modified the original one by making straps wider and adding them to the top of the bag at the pleats instead of at the band. Then I folded them up to the top of the bag and sewed across, then topstitched all around creating 4 loops.

Also I added an elastic headband (rubber) 5 inches long (fold in half) to the band after attaching it to the pleated bag top. After which I attached the band facing, folded that into the bag and slipstatched it to inside seam with heavy thread.

The last thing was to add a big pretty button for closure. I lined these bags with a matching solid fabric like satin or other. Light colors work best so you can see what's in the bag, but any color is fine. I press down the pleats first before I sew across the top to hold them in place.

The one you are seeing was made from an old tye dyed shirt I found at the thrift store!

Any questions? Give me a holla!

Thanks for looking and happy sewing!

By Marian in VA

Easy Pleated Tote Bag

Thats a great bag.. Im going to try making one. Wish me luck :)

This is a great idea for a purse. Thanks for sharing.

Photos CraftsJune 16, 2008
Fabric Window Blinds
Cleaning Fabric Window Blinds
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
Recycle Tote Bag
Decorating Tote Bags
Working on a Crocheted Tote Bag
Making a Crocheted Tote Bag
🎉
🎄