Planning a Trip to Hawaii

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary this summer. We would love to go to Hawaii; but don't know exactly how to proceed to make this happen. What are reliable websites, etc. that would lead us to fantastic deals? Some advice on how much to save for? Thanks.

By Kim

Three of the most common travel web sites are, and

Also if you are a member of AAA you can visit their office for help and also pick up travel books and maps.

We use one of the named three to book our flights, car rental and hotels. Good luck.

I should also have added how we book a flight. You need to know what carriers go to Hawaii. Last time I went I flew to Chicago and took a direct flight to Hawaii on United. However, you want to go to the airlines webb site and book your flight over the webb. You will be given the flights numbers,leaving and return times and cost.

Then when you go to the airline you insert your credit card into the machine they have at the counter, follow the prompts and your boarding passes are printed out. Then you have your bags checked and you taken them and leave them with the TSA people who will check out the bags and have them taken to your plane for loading. The airline have people there to help you out with questions and to show you how the system works.

I booked (2) Rt Flights and (8) days hotel in Oahu a couple of years back for a ridiculously cheap price. First you have to book as far in advance as you can. I booked (9) months in advance for a convention. The Hotel I selected was a block off Waikiki Beach and 1/3rd the price of the ones right on the water. We didn't book a car unless we needed one during our stay and actually never did. Google up the island and each has it's own web site where I found many great deals. I also use a web called It's a dump site for places like Orbitz and Expedia for seats they purchased and didn't sell. I also search on Tuesday nights after midnight which is when all the airlines and booking sites dump what they need to get rid of. Good Luck. It will be the trip you will never ever forget. Darlene

This last year I found a great deal at My husband and I go to Hawaii every summer for our anniversary and I was able to get tix for half the price we normally pay! Have a great time!

AAA if you're a member, (if not, you can join) or a local travel agent. Travel agents do not charge you, they are compensated by the airlines and hotels, etc.

Try Holiday Travel. They aren't the cheapest but they take care of your flight, hotels, luggage, some meals and points of interest. My daughter and I had a wonderful time. Do go to Hilo Hatties and Buba Gumps. One word of warning, you will leave your heart there.

I would like to recommend, It has tons of info for you, and is a valuable homework tool. Experienced travelers can help to fill you in. You can ask questions, read forums, book and everything. I love it! And it is free and won't spam up your mailbox!

Hawaiian Fire Dancers
Hawaii Frugal Travel Guide
Travel and Recreation TravelFebruary 19, 2010
Frangipani Tree with pink blossoms.
Pruning a Frangipani Tree
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Hawaii Christmas Charities
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
New York, New York
New York, NY Frugal Travel Guide