New York, NY Frugal Travel Guide

Category New York
Whether you are planning a trip to the Big Apple or other parts of New York state there are numerous sites and activities to make your trip memorable. This page has tips, photos, and guides for traveling to New York.

I am looking for information for cheap and exciting vacations in New York.

By kumaran from Orlando

Answers

Best Answer

"New York" and "free" aren't normally two words you'd put together in the same sentence, but if you look beyond some of the obvious Manhattan attractions you'll find there are a surprising number of low-cost activities to do with children.
Sightseeing opportunities include touring exotic neighborhoods like Chinatown and Little Italy, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, traveling on the Staten Island Ferry for an unbeatable view of the Statue of Liberty and visiting fun exhibits at local libraries.

Central Park offers many activities, from launching toy boats in the pond to riding the carousel to bird watching. And don't forget the toy wonderland that is FAO Schwartz! In your downtime, check out the storytelling events hosted by bookstores all over the city. Read on for information on these exciting adventures and more. good luck.

Best Answer

A great way to save$ is to stay at a youth hostel. There are hundreds of hostels in NYC. they run per person per nite. You must have a pass port to stay at them. After all, they are meant for the world traveler. $20-$40 per nite is the average. its not as luxurious as a hotel, but you do get continental breakfast and some even have a free pizza nite. Check out this link for a listing and ratings of all the youth hostels in NYC.

www.hostelworld.com/

Best Answer

Did you mean New York City, or New York State? There is lots to do north of the city you know! We have hundreds of lakes and beautiful mountains and some fantastic wine country too! Then there's historic areas and the Saratoga Race Track (August), amusement parks, Niagara Falls. Too much to mention all here. But I am sure if you go to the New York State web-site you can get lots of ideas.

I'm on fix income and I live in NYC need some ideas on cheap vacations for my family.

By NB

Answers

We have always said "vacations" are just building special memories. A picnic on your living room floor or whatever kind of space you live in, or in a local park or someplace you and your child might find just "different" from the usual.

Add some special fun food to the experience and play games. You do not have to spend extra money to create wonderful memories. Just be creative.

Any camp sites in your area? Camping and free from electronics and distractions is a great way for family to reconnect. Also we do "mini" day get away in our family. orchard apple picking, days at the lake, museums, fishing, hunting etc. lots of things that can be cheap on the budget and fun for the family (and sometimes a lot less stressful than planning a BIG vacation anyways)

I'd like a nice casual restaurant that one could enjoy dining at with jeans and sneakers or slacks and shoes. I would like nice decor, somewhat of a classy touch, I don't want a dive bar type place. Sit should be someplace that would be appropriate for a date without being grungy or "cheap". Please provide websites/phone numbers, thank you all.

By Rita Wilson from New York, NY

Answers

Sounds to me like a good reason to go walking / exploring, Rita. High-end pubs might be one answer to your quest. Perhaps also check out www.yelp.ca/.../restaurants ?

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
This is the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. I only posted a picture of one exhibit because of disclosure reasons or, in English, the people there want you to see it for yourself, lol.

In the picture, you can see a very old piece of art that is over 3,000 years old. I would recommend you get a tour because there is a lot of untold history and ORIGINAL pieces of art including tombs, wall inscriptions, sculptures, paintings, clothes that were preserved and much more!

Photo Location
New York City

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

My trip to New York to pay respects for all the people lost on 9-11-01.

911 Memorial (New York, NY)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

My brother and I visited New York City in May. We were walking to the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty on a rainy morning and we passed the World Trade Center site.

The World Trade Center 911 Memorial being constructed in New York City.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US States New YorkApril 8, 2013
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/New-York-New-York-Frugal-Travel-Guide.html