New York Cheesecake Recipes

Category Cheesecake
The deli style New York cheesecake is known for its rich, dense filling. This page contains New York cheesecake recipes.

As many women know, there is a little known, but still major food group, along with carbs, dairy, and so on, and it is: Cheesecake. Sigh. I love cheesecake, and I've been asked to submit my recipe for the New York style. This recipe is tried and true, and I've been making it for at least 20 years with never a failure. It may crack, but that's what that great topping is for!

Shortbread Crust:
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. cold butter
  • 1 beaten egg yolk
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Filling:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 4 eggs
Topping:
  • 1 pint sour cream
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

Making a cheesecake requires a springform pan. Have all the ingredients at room temperature.

Crust:

preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and sugar. Cut the butter in. Add the egg yolk and vanilla, and stir with a fork, working the dough into a nice ball.

Using 1/3 of the dough, cover the bottom of the springform pan only, pressing it down from the middle outward. It should be evenly about 1/8th inch thick. You should not have the sides on yet. Bake this portion for 7 minutes, or until just golden. Remove from the oven and cool.

When it's completely cool, butter the ring of the springform and put the pan together, and lock it. Press the remaining dough around the sides, making sure you over-lap it onto the bottom to insure a good seal. Do not bake until the filling is added.

Cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With a mixer, blend the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla thoroughly, making sure there are no lumps at all. Add one egg at a time and beat well after each at low speed.

Pour this mixture into the pan. Bake 45 - 50 minutes until the sides pull away a little. The middle of the cake should still jiggle just a little - it will continue baking for awhile. Turn the oven off and open the oven door a little. Let the cake cool for 30 minutes.

Topping:

While cheesecake is cooling, mix the topping ingredients. Take the cake out of the oven and turn it on at 425 degrees F. Mix all the topping ingredients well, and spread them evenly over the top of the cake. Bake this for 5 minutes, no longer. Remove from oven and chill at least 6 hours or, preferably, over night.

Tips: You can add lemon flavoring to the cake if you prefer it. I don't like it, so I don't know how much you would add. I sometimes use almond flavoring, and top the cake with canned cherry pie filling once it has chilled.

Before you remove the sides from the pan, run a knife between the crust and the sides of the pan to make sure the crust doesn't stick to the sides and ruin the cake.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Cheesecake is not something that I usually think of as being "thrifty", to buy or to make. I must have had cheesecake on the brain because my pinterest page has about 5 or 6 recipes that I have added in the last few weeks. I took advantage of a sale on cream cheese this week at $1.19 a package. When I calculated the ingredients cost, this was less than $8 to make! It is one of the best cheesecakes I have ever tasted. It is so creamy and smooth. There is no graham cracker crust, but you could make one if that is what you prefer. I could have gone either way. I made a strawberry sauce to go over the cheesecake, but it didn't need it. It was perfect the way it was. It was well worth the effort. I will definitely be making this again, when I can find another great deal on cream cheese.

Total Time: Over 6 hours before you even get it in the fridge. Then it sits in the fridge overnight. Plan ahead!

Yield: Depends on your portion size...probably 16 servings.

Source: Jim Fobel's "Old Fashioned Baking Book"

• 5 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 cups (1 pint) sour cream, room temperature
  • 4 8oz packages of cream cheese, room temperature
  • 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest

1. Generously butter the inside of a 10 inch springform pan. (I only had a 9 inch pan, but I baked according to the directions and it still came out perfect). Wrap a double layer of aluminum foil tightly around the outside bottom and sides of the pan. You don't want water to seep into your pan while it's in the water bath. Put your baking rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sour cream with an electric mixer, until well blended.
  3. In a medium sized bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add this to the egg and sour cream mixture and beat until smooth.
  4. Add the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Beat thoroughly, about 2 minutes.
  5. Pour into the prepared springform pan. Place in a roasting pan or other pan that is large enough to prevent the sides of the springform pan from touching. Place in the oven and very carefully pour enough hot tap water to go halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
  6. Bake for 2 hours and 15 minutes, until the cake is lightly colored and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Very carefully take out the roasting pan....you don't want to splash hot water onto your delicious cheesecake and you certainly don't want it to splash on you! I moved mine to the top of the stove. Carefully remove the cheesecake from the water bath. Peel the aluminum foil off of the pan. Be careful...there could be hot water in those layers. Let cheesecake stand at room temperature until completely cool, about 4 hours. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, overnight. I know it's tempting to dig in sooner, but be patient!
  7. Enjoy!

In a food processor, combine the ricotta, yogurt, Splenda, egg substitute, flour, vanilla, and lemon zest. Process until partially smoothed, about 1-1/2 minutes.