Sewing MachinesMachines

Thumb Screw on Kenmore Sewing Machine Won't Loosen

I need help with a Sears Kenmore 156-18031. I am unable to remove the mechanism that attaches the feet. As I try to remove the thumb screw, it becomes tighter. If I turn the other way, it it becomes tighter, too. I want to remove it so I can use a different set of feet on it because I do not have the specialized snap on feet for that mechanism. Please help.

Contact-sewvacdoctor@sewingandvac.com Good luck.

There should be a screwdriver slot in the screw. Try using the screwdriver to loosen. Remember- righty tighty, lefty loosy. You want to turn it counter clockwise. If you have a rubber glove or strap, use it for more grip. Good luck!

Try some WD-40

Hello Suem 1009,

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about mentioning that I had used a hefty screwdriver to loosen that thumbscrew but chose to be brief. The screw wouldn't budge, turned either "lefty loosey" OR, "righty tighty" This was a very proprietary system for attaching feet on that Kenmore sewing machine. The shaft upon which the feet were attached had 2 holes in it. One to which the foot was attached, and another holding a stout pin. I finally was able to knock that pin out, allowing me to remove the mechanism and change the foot. However, the hole and thumbscrew are specific to that shaft . If I should lose that screw, other screws made for foot attaching will not work in it's place. Again thanks for trying to help me with your "lefty loosey, righty tighty" advice.