Thumb Screw on Kenmore Sewing Machine Won't Loosen

I need help with a Sears Kenmore 156-18031. I am unable to remove the mechanism that attaches the feet. As I try to remove the thumb screw, it becomes tighter. If I turn the other way, it it becomes tighter, too. I want to remove it so I can use a different set of feet on it because I do not have the specialized snap on feet for that mechanism. Please help.

April 1, 20100 found this helpful Good luck.

There should be a screwdriver slot in the screw. Try using the screwdriver to loosen. Remember- righty tighty, lefty loosy. You want to turn it counter clockwise. If you have a rubber glove or strap, use it for more grip. Good luck!

Try some WD-40

Hello Suem 1009,

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about mentioning that I had used a hefty screwdriver to loosen that thumbscrew but chose to be brief. The screw wouldn't budge, turned either "lefty loosey" OR, "righty tighty" This was a very proprietary system for attaching feet on that Kenmore sewing machine. The shaft upon which the feet were attached had 2 holes in it. One to which the foot was attached, and another holding a stout pin. I finally was able to knock that pin out, allowing me to remove the mechanism and change the foot. However, the hole and thumbscrew are specific to that shaft . If I should lose that screw, other screws made for foot attaching will not work in it's place. Again thanks for trying to help me with your "lefty loosey, righty tighty" advice.

Sewing Machine Sewing Blue Fabric
Repairing a Sewing Machine
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesMarch 31, 2010
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Thread Keeps Breaking
Trigger Thumb
Home Remedies for Trigger Thumb
Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread