Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor - Categories:

Pet OdorsPets

Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

How do I get rid of the smell of cat urine in carpet? The carpet has already been steam cleaned, but the smell still lingers.

By Susan from Fort Scott, KS

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Whatever, you do not use heat on the area that smells like urine. the heat will only make the smell worse. I learned it the hard way!

Try Natures Miracle from a pet store. Also you can get carpet cleaning solution for pet odors. It does work.

Try mixing cup water, 2 tbsps of baking soda & 1/4 cup of white vinegar together in a spray bottle. Spray on the stain & rub with a cloth to remove excess moisture, do not use disinfectants as it leaves a lingering small of ammonia which will encourage the cat to keep peeing there. I have been told steaming may set the smell into the carpet, give this mixture a try.

It exploded lol brought me and my husband back to science class. We laughed so hard...thx

Thanks for the advice, my cats have decided to pee all over the place. Was using water and vinegar only. Will use the new mix, adding baking soda

Oddly enough I've searching for weeks for a home remedy, no chemical type solution for this problem. I've tried several suggestions found all over the place on the web... Some listed mouthwash, others peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, etc. So, fed up with so many options I filled a spray bottle with an entire bottle of peroxide and whitening mouthwash, sprayed away and violá, stink and stain GONE! No residue, no carpet discoloration, no damage to padding... After several fails it was nice to finally see results. Good luck!

April 21, 2011 Flag

My older cat has been urinating on my bathroom rug. I have washed it several times, but can't seem to get the urine smell out. Is there anything that I can make at home to remove the odor. I know you can buy stuff, but it is rather expensive.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

I would keep the rug off the floor because you may never get rid of the smell as far as the cat's nose goes. Try adding vinegar to the wash. (01/19/2011)

By merlene

Get a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide at K-mart or Walmart. The last I paid for a large bottle was 1.29. Soak the rug for 20 minutes, then wash it by itself with detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.
(01/19/2011)

By abbysmom

I buy a product called Odoban. I have seen it at Walmart, but I purchase the gallon size and dilute it at home. It saves money doing it this way, but it sanitizes and doesn't just mask odors. You can spray it on after you have cleaned the carpet, let it dry and maybe reapply if needed. I know I have purchased the gallon size at Home Depot and at Sam's. Good luck! (01/19/2011)

By brenneman826

Borax is the only way I know to really get rid of cat urine odor. A large box costs about $2.50. I use about 1/3 cup in my front loader and wash as usual. Even the cats can't find the spot afterwards. (01/19/2011)

By Lizzyanny

January 18, 2011 Flag

My kitty cat Shnookums (aka Mr.Choop and Big Spenda) has kidney failure and for some reason decided that my decorative pillow was the *perfect* place to go pee. I stripped off the pillow sham and tossed the pillow. I took the pillow sham along with my comforter to the dry cleaners (they're both dry clean only) and the woman said that most likely nothing they did would be able to get rid of the odor, but they'll try anyways.

When I get the pillow sham back what can I use on it if the odor is still there? He peed on the backside of the pillow on the plain black cotton side.

So any tips that are color-safe and don't require using a washing machine?

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Answers:

I have used Febreze Spray. It is a bit expensive however worth the price. (11/05/2010)

By jules1960

One of the few products that works is Natures Miracle. They have a line of remedies that takes care of skunk smell, urine, and feces removal. I have used it to remove not only the smell, but the stain also. It is available at any pet store. There are copy cat (excuse the pun) brands, but they don't work as well and are a waste of money. (11/05/2010)

By jabsgram

November 5, 2010 Flag

What can I use to get rid of cat urine smells?

July 24, 2010 Flag

I can't get the cat urine smell out of laundry room. I removed the flooring and scrubbed the walls. It is stronger smelling when it is damp and cold outside. Any help would be appreciated.

December 28, 2009 Flag

I have a pair of suede boots that my cat peed on. I want to know if I can clean them with something to remove the odor? Thanks.

November 26, 2009 Flag

My 5 year old cat has just started peeing and pooping inside, in only one spot. She's never done this before.

June 18, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know of any home remedies for getting cat urine smell out of carpet?

Pets Pet OdorsApril 21, 2011
orange house cat
Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 3:50:10 AM on 10.0.1.53 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.