Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

How do I get rid of the smell of cat urine in carpet? The carpet has already been steam cleaned, but the smell still lingers.

By Susan from Fort Scott, KS

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Whatever, you do not use heat on the area that smells like urine. the heat will only make the smell worse. I learned it the hard way!

Try Natures Miracle from a pet store. Also you can get carpet cleaning solution for pet odors. It does work.

Try mixing cup water, 2 tbsps of baking soda & 1/4 cup of white vinegar together in a spray bottle. Spray on the stain & rub with a cloth to remove excess moisture, do not use disinfectants as it leaves a lingering small of ammonia which will encourage the cat to keep peeing there. I have been told steaming may set the smell into the carpet, give this mixture a try.

Oddly enough I've searching for weeks for a home remedy, no chemical type solution for this problem. I've tried several suggestions found all over the place on the web... Some listed mouthwash, others peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, etc. So, fed up with so many options I filled a spray bottle with an entire bottle of peroxide and whitening mouthwash, sprayed away and violá, stink and stain GONE! No residue, no carpet discoloration, no damage to padding... After several fails it was nice to finally see results. Good luck!

Answer

My older cat has been urinating on my bathroom rug. I have washed it several times, but can't seem to get the urine smell out. Is there anything that I can make at home to remove the odor. I know you can buy stuff, but it is rather expensive.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

I would keep the rug off the floor because you may never get rid of the smell as far as the cat's nose goes. Try adding vinegar to the wash. (01/19/2011)

By merlene

Get a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide at K-mart or Walmart. The last I paid for a large bottle was 1.29. Soak the rug for 20 minutes, then wash it by itself with detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.
(01/19/2011)

By abbysmom

I buy a product called Odoban. I have seen it at Walmart, but I purchase the gallon size and dilute it at home. It saves money doing it this way, but it sanitizes and doesn't just mask odors. You can spray it on after you have cleaned the carpet, let it dry and maybe reapply if needed. I know I have purchased the gallon size at Home Depot and at Sam's. Good luck! (01/19/2011)

By brenneman826

Borax is the only way I know to really get rid of cat urine odor. A large box costs about $2.50. I use about 1/3 cup in my front loader and wash as usual. Even the cats can't find the spot afterwards. (01/19/2011)

By Lizzyanny

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My kitty cat Shnookums (aka Mr.Choop and Big Spenda) has kidney failure and for some reason decided that my decorative pillow was the *perfect* place to go pee. I stripped off the pillow sham and tossed the pillow. I took the pillow sham along with my comforter to the dry cleaners (they're both dry clean only) and the woman said that most likely nothing they did would be able to get rid of the odor, but they'll try anyways.

When I get the pillow sham back what can I use on it if the odor is still there? He peed on the backside of the pillow on the plain black cotton side.

So any tips that are color-safe and don't require using a washing machine?

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Answers:

I have used Febreze Spray. It is a bit expensive however worth the price. (11/05/2010)

By jules1960

One of the few products that works is Natures Miracle. They have a line of remedies that takes care of skunk smell, urine, and feces removal. I have used it to remove not only the smell, but the stain also. It is available at any pet store. There are copy cat (excuse the pun) brands, but they don't work as well and are a waste of money. (11/05/2010)

By jabsgram

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What can I use to get rid of cat urine smells?

By Jennie from HI

Answers:

White vinegar, in solution or straight if the odor is very strong and long lasting. Leave it to dry and neutralize the odor, which is largely alkaline. Vinegar is acid, so will bring spot back to neutral, all things going well.

Otherwise use an enzyme solution. Someone here used the enzymes for cesspools because it was less expensive, but still worked. I'm going to do that the next time I need to neutralize anything. (07/25/2010)

By PIKKA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can't get the cat urine smell out of laundry room. I removed the flooring and scrubbed the walls. It is stronger smelling when it is damp and cold outside. Any help would be appreciated.

By Donna from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Now that you have stripped the flooring, paint the floor with Kilz brand sealant paint. It will seal the odor in. Leave the floor as is or replace flooring after painting.

We did this in a 1300 sq. ft. apartment we once rented. We tore out the carpet and padding and threw it away. We painted the wood underneath with the Kilz and the owner had new carpet and padding laid.

The previous apartment renter had several cats and as the story goes, she didn't keep the litter boxes clean for them, so as fastidious cats will do, they found another place to urinate.

My advice for all cat lovers is keep a self cleaning litter box for them. (12/30/2009)

By Carly34

Try Scope mouthwash full-strength on the floor and let it soak in. (12/30/2009)

By garnetgirl9

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a pair of suede boots that my cat peed on. I want to know if I can clean them with something to remove the odor? Thanks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My 5 year old cat has just started peeing and pooping inside, in only one spot. She's never done this before.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of any home remedies for getting cat urine smell out of carpet?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Pet OdorsApril 21, 2011
orange house cat
Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:14:47 AM on 10.0.2.182 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.