Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

How do I get rid of the smell of cat urine in carpet? The carpet has already been steam cleaned, but the smell still lingers.

By Susan from Fort Scott, KS

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By kiarah04/18/2014

Oddly enough I've searching for weeks for a home remedy, no chemical type solution for this problem. I've tried several suggestions found all over the place on the web... Some listed mouthwash, others peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, etc. So, fed up with so many options I filled a spray bottle with an entire bottle of peroxide and whitening mouthwash, sprayed away and violá, stink and stain GONE! No residue, no carpet discoloration, no damage to padding... After several fails it was nice to finally see results. Good luck!

By heather inwood [10]04/22/2011

Try mixing cup water, 2 tbsps of baking soda & 1/4 cup of white vinegar together in a spray bottle. Spray on the stain & rub with a cloth to remove excess moisture, do not use disinfectants as it leaves a lingering small of ammonia which will encourage the cat to keep peeing there. I have been told steaming may set the smell into the carpet, give this mixture a try.

By Lizzyanny [9]04/22/2011

Try Natures Miracle from a pet store. Also you can get carpet cleaning solution for pet odors. It does work.

By Melissa [3]04/21/2011

Whatever, you do not use heat on the area that smells like urine. the heat will only make the smell worse. I learned it the hard way!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

Does anyone know of any home remedies for getting cat urine smell out of carpet?

Denise from MO

RE: Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

Plain old white vinegar really works. My kitty just got over a UTI and was desperately trying to find a spot that didn't hurt her when she peed so she used my area rug, 2 papasan chairs and the dog bed. I soaked everything in vinegar, including the carpet. Of course I was lucky enough I could just pick up the corner and make sure everything was gotten. Any way, just pour enough vinegar on the spot to saturate it and then blot up the excess. You might have to do it a few times to completely get the odor, and it'll smell faintly of cleaner for a time afterward, but that's better than the alternative I think.

Also, cat's don't like vinegar so the cat will be less apt to mark the same place again even if they still can smell something. (10/17/2007)

By Panktty

On a similar previous post, somebody suggested OUT, available at Wal-Mart. My cat was shut in a room and pooped on the carpet. No urine. But I could still smell the spot even after a couple of vinegar treatments. The OUT worked. I love to use vinegar whenever I can, but sometimes you just need the commercial stuff. (10/18/2007)

By Lynn

I saw this remedy on another website:

1. Clean up the urine.
  2. Put 2 tbsp of Liquid Tide in a spray bottle and spray the area, soaking the spot. Let sit for 30 min and clean up.
  3. Spray white vinegar on the mess and let dry without soaking up. (10/19/2007)

By Maryeileen

1. Rip the carpet and pad back.
  2. Pour straight bleach on the floor.
  3. Put a very small amount of dish detergent on a scrub brush and brush the bleached floor.
  4. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
  5. Clean excess bleach mixture off floor with old towels.

Use a bleach, water, Dawn mixture and scrub the bottom and top of the carpet and let dry. Flip carpet and padding back into it's original spot. If it starts to smell again, cut the padding out where it's stained and repeat the bleaching steps above. And if it still starts to smell again, cut the carpet out and replace with new carpet. (04/22/2008)

By kittyvision

I have a recipe that consists of 8oz of peroxide and 3 drops of dish soap. Good luck. (05/15/2009)

By sunnie01_ks

My 5 year old cat has just started peeing and pooping inside, in only one spot. She's never done this before. I've used the mixture of white vinegar and water to clean the odor to try stop her and also have sprinkled cayenne pepper over the area.

None of these seem to be working. Her situation hasn't changed at all and she is a very happy, well looked after cat. I would like some homemade recipes to try to stop this problem. The room is going to be my daughter's room, so I don't want any chemicals to be used. Please help.

By amy101 from New Zealand

No cayenne pepper. It burns their eyes and, as a vet assistant, I have seen cats actually claw their eyes out to stop the hurting. Cats don't like the smell of citrus fruits, try spraying the area with a strong citrus scented spray, such as "Orange Glow". (07/24/2009)

By catastrofy

I just discovered that washing with an orange oil based soap, then spraying with diluted rubbing alcohol and lemon oil, does a good job. I would, however, try putting a litter box in the chosen spot and then gradually moving it away. (07/27/2009)

By Cantate

I found a product called "Out Natural Spot and Odor Remover" that uses enzymes to kill the odor. I tried 2 other pet products that didn't work. This one did. I poured the product on the area and scrubbed it in with a nylon scrub brush, blotting off the excess with paper towels.

Regarding someone's advice to put the cat box there and gradually move it away. Don't do it. I moved my cat's freshly cleaned box into the guest room for 7 hours while the plumber worked in the laundry room. After putting it back to it's normals place, the cat immediately started peeing exactly where the box had been in the guest room. The cat is 17 years old and never gone away from his box other than outside. (10/27/2009)

By llazyme

You can also use mouthwash, such as Scope, to get rid of the odour. (10/27/2009)

By catastrofy

I have a pair of suede boots that my cat peed on. I want to know if I can clean them with something to remove the odor? Thanks.

I can't get the cat urine smell out of laundry room. I removed the flooring and scrubbed the walls. It is stronger smelling when it is damp and cold outside. Any help would be appreciated.

By Donna from Sacramento, CA

Now that you have stripped the flooring, paint the floor with Kilz brand sealant paint. It will seal the odor in. Leave the floor as is or replace flooring after painting.

We did this in a 1300 sq. ft. apartment we once rented. We tore out the carpet and padding and threw it away. We painted the wood underneath with the Kilz and the owner had new carpet and padding laid.

The previous apartment renter had several cats and as the story goes, she didn't keep the litter boxes clean for them, so as fastidious cats will do, they found another place to urinate.

My advice for all cat lovers is keep a self cleaning litter box for them. (12/30/2009)

By Carly34

Try Scope mouthwash full-strength on the floor and let it soak in. (12/30/2009)

By garnetgirl9

What can I use to get rid of cat urine smells?