Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

Category Odors
There are commercial products you can buy to help get rid of cat urine odors on carpet, rugs, furniture, and more. However, there are also some tried and true methods that use products you probably already have at home. This is a guide about home remedies for removing cat urine odor.

How do I get rid of the smell of cat urine in carpet? The carpet has already been steam cleaned, but the smell still lingers.

By Susan from Fort Scott, KS

Answers

Best Answer

Whatever, you do not use heat on the area that smells like urine. the heat will only make the smell worse. I learned it the hard way!

Best Answer

Try Natures Miracle from a pet store. Also you can get carpet cleaning solution for pet odors. It does work.

Best Answer

Try mixing cup water, 2 tbsps of baking soda & 1/4 cup of white vinegar together in a spray bottle. Spray on the stain & rub with a cloth to remove excess moisture, do not use disinfectants as it leaves a lingering small of ammonia which will encourage the cat to keep peeing there. I have been told steaming may set the smell into the carpet, give this mixture a try.

Best Answer

Oddly enough I've searching for weeks for a home remedy, no chemical type solution for this problem. I've tried several suggestions found all over the place on the web... Some listed mouthwash, others peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, etc. So, fed up with so many options I filled a spray bottle with an entire bottle of peroxide and whitening mouthwash, sprayed away and violá, stink and stain GONE! No residue, no carpet discoloration, no damage to padding... After several fails it was nice to finally see results. Good luck!

My 5 year old cat has just started peeing and pooping inside, in only one spot. She's never done this before. I've used the mixture of white vinegar and water to clean the odor to try stop her and also have sprinkled cayenne pepper over the area.

None of these seem to be working. Her situation hasn't changed at all and she is a very happy, well looked after cat. I would like some homemade recipes to try to stop this problem. The room is going to be my daughter's room, so I don't want any chemicals to be used. Please help.

By amy101 from New Zealand

Answers:

No cayenne pepper. It burns their eyes and, as a vet assistant, I have seen cats actually claw their eyes out to stop the hurting. Cats don't like the smell of citrus fruits, try spraying the area with a strong citrus scented spray, such as "Orange Glow". (07/24/2009)

By catastrofy

I just discovered that washing with an orange oil based soap, then spraying with diluted rubbing alcohol and lemon oil, does a good job. I would, however, try putting a litter box in the chosen spot and then gradually moving it away. (07/27/2009)

By Cantate

I found a product called "Out Natural Spot and Odor Remover" that uses enzymes to kill the odor. I tried 2 other pet products that didn't work. This one did. I poured the product on the area and scrubbed it in with a nylon scrub brush, blotting off the excess with paper towels.

Regarding someone's advice to put the cat box there and gradually move it away. Don't do it.
I moved my cat's freshly cleaned box into the guest room for 7 hours while the plumber worked in the laundry room. After putting it back to it's normals place, the cat immediately started peeing exactly where the box had been in the guest room. The cat is 17 years old and never gone away from his box other than outside. (10/27/2009)

By llazyme

You can also use mouthwash, such as Scope, to get rid of the odour. (10/27/2009)

By catastrofy

My older cat has been urinating on my bathroom rug. I have washed it several times, but can't seem to get the urine smell out. Is there anything that I can make at home to remove the odor. I know you can buy stuff, but it is rather expensive.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

I would keep the rug off the floor because you may never get rid of the smell as far as the cat's nose goes. Try adding vinegar to the wash. (01/19/2011)

By merlene

Get a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide at K-mart or Walmart. The last I paid for a large bottle was 1.29. Soak the rug for 20 minutes, then wash it by itself with detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar.

(01/19/2011)

By abbysmom

I buy a product called Odoban. I have seen it at Walmart, but I purchase the gallon size and dilute it at home. It saves money doing it this way, but it sanitizes and doesn't just mask odors. You can spray it on after you have cleaned the carpet, let it dry and maybe reapply if needed. I know I have purchased the gallon size at Home Depot and at Sam's. Good luck! (01/19/2011)

By brenneman826

Borax is the only way I know to really get rid of cat urine odor. A large box costs about $2.50. I use about 1/3 cup in my front loader and wash as usual. Even the cats can't find the spot afterwards. (01/19/2011)

By Lizzyanny

My kitty cat Shnookums (aka Mr.Choop and Big Spenda) has kidney failure and for some reason decided that my decorative pillow was the *perfect* place to go pee. I stripped off the pillow sham and tossed the pillow. I took the pillow sham along with my comforter to the dry cleaners (they're both dry clean only) and the woman said that most likely nothing they did would be able to get rid of the odor, but they'll try anyways.

When I get the pillow sham back what can I use on it if the odor is still there? He peed on the backside of the pillow on the plain black cotton side.

So any tips that are color-safe and don't require using a washing machine?

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Answers:

I have used Febreze Spray. It is a bit expensive however worth the price. (11/05/2010)

By jules1960

One of the few products that works is Natures Miracle. They have a line of remedies that takes care of skunk smell, urine, and feces removal. I have used it to remove not only the smell, but the stain also. It is available at any pet store. There are copy cat (excuse the pun) brands, but they don't work as well and are a waste of money. (11/05/2010)

By jabsgram

What can I use to get rid of cat urine smells?

By Jennie from HI

Answers:

White vinegar, in solution or straight if the odor is very strong and long lasting. Leave it to dry and neutralize the odor, which is largely alkaline. Vinegar is acid, so will bring spot back to neutral, all things going well.

Otherwise use an enzyme solution. Someone here used the enzymes for cesspools because it was less expensive, but still worked. I'm going to do that the next time I need to neutralize anything. (07/25/2010)

By PIKKA

I can't get the cat urine smell out of laundry room. I removed the flooring and scrubbed the walls. It is stronger smelling when it is damp and cold outside. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a pair of suede boots that my cat peed on. I want to know if I can clean them with something to remove the odor? Thanks.

Does anyone know of any home remedies for getting cat urine smell out of carpet?