Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

How do I get rid of the smell of cat urine in carpet? The carpet has already been steam cleaned, but the smell still lingers.

By susanmcclure from Fort Scott, KS

Best Answer

Whatever, you do not use heat on the area that smells like urine. the heat will only make the smell worse. I learned it the hard way!

Best Answer

Try Natures Miracle from a pet store. Also you can get carpet cleaning solution for pet odors. It does work.

Anonymous

does not work..

Best Answer

Try mixing cup water, 2 tbsps of baking soda & 1/4 cup of white vinegar together in a spray bottle. Spray on the stain & rub with a cloth to remove excess moisture, do not use disinfectants as it leaves a lingering small of ammonia which will encourage the cat to keep peeing there.

I have been told steaming may set the smell into the carpet, give this mixture a try.

Anonymous

It exploded lol brought me and my husband back to science class. We laughed so hard...thx

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, my cats have decided to pee all over the place. Was using water and vinegar only. Will use the new mix, adding baking soda

Forgot the water part

What is ratio of Peroxide to whitening mouthwash? 50-50? Thanks

Just put the water and vinegar mix on the carpet. Saturate it quite well. Give it about an hour to settle. Then cover the spot with baking soda: about a1/4 " thick. Go back in an hour or 2 and the baking soda will be a disgusting shade of yellow. It pulls the urine out of the carpet. Depending on how deep the urine got, you may have to do this several times.

You should always clean up the urine the moment you know it is there. The first step is to use paper towels to soak it up. Might waste a lot of paper towels. And then start with the water, vinegar and baking soda routine. Must say, all around it is a pain in the butt job. Go to Jackson Galaxy's website to learn how to stop it. Good luck!

Best Answer

Oddly enough I've searching for weeks for a home remedy, no chemical type solution for this problem. I've tried several suggestions found all over the place on the web... Some listed mouthwash, others peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, etc. So, fed up with so many options I filled a spray bottle with an entire bottle of peroxide and whitening mouthwash, sprayed away and violá, stink and stain GONE! No residue, no carpet discoloration, no damage to padding... After several fails it was nice to finally see results. Good luck!

Hello my hallway carpet has cat and puppy pee plus stains! They're charging me $200 !! Help! Need to pass my inspection! Asap!

How much mouthwash did you use?

Anonymous

Would this work on upholstery, damn cat, got rid of old couch, hadn't sprayed in years had this couch a yr. Nothing then last week he does it . Do you think that peroxide mouthwash will work.

Can you use that remedy on wood floors

What's sort if peroxide? Wont that's beach the carpets

How much mouth wash to a "whole bottle of peroxide". 32oz spray bottle.? Regular or larger size peroxide? Small bottle of mouthwash? Amount of ounces will help or a guess. Or fill spray bottle w entire reg sz peroxide then remaining area to top w mouth wash?

Thanks. Plus I ve already steam cleaner. I m told that set s it. Plus cleaning w baking soda vinegar and peroxide they say works temporary. Smell comes back. How s yours working? Still no smell. Thanks for any help.

What peroxcide did you use? i have been looking online to buy some for this issue and i have been informed that there are varying grades i.e common household peroxcide is normally 3-6% but i can get a commercial peroxcide at 6% or 12% , i dont want to buy the 12% with the thought that it would be better to then find that my carpets and upholstery has been stained or discoloured by this .

I used 50/50 mouthwash and peroxide on a stain, gave it a light rub waited for it to dry then vacumed no stain lovely fresh smell.

What is peroxide where from?

She means hydrogen peroxide, the kind you often use on scrapes and stains. It comes in a brown bottle and foams when it comes in contact with organic material.