When Should I Replace My Large and Small Appliances?

I had an 8 year old toaster which wasn't working the way I thought it should. I bought an on sale $35.00 toaster for $20.00. It had excellent reviews. My husband said I should have not done that, but to use the old toaster till it quit. Is that true? Should I do this with all appliances? Thanks in advance for your advice.

By Helen from Trilla, IL

I replace toasters, and other small appliances, including microwaves, when I don't think they are working right, and as soon as I have extra money to do it. I don't want to be without in case something should "die" when I don't have the money to replace it. Of course I don't have a man around telling me what I should and shouldn't do either. I used have one of them, but life is so much more peaceful after we split up.

I do what redhatterb does. If my toaster or coffeemaker is not acting right, I keep my eyes open for a replacement. I have bought cheap basic items like these from Target or Walmart and they do the job just fine. I don't worry about product reviews for this sort of thing. I also don't agree with your husband's advice. If a small appliance doesn't work right it is annoying. There is no reason to live with that annoyance if you don't want to.

For larger appliances like a washing machine, I think most people wait until it dies before looking to repair or replace it.

Life expectancy of appliances in years. Toasters are expendable because of their low cost.

Microwave oven 10

Garbage disposal 10-12

Trash compactor 10

Water heater, gas 11-13

Water heater, electric 13-14

Water heater, tankless (on demand) 20+

Smoke detector 10

Refrigerator, side by side 14

Refrigerator, top mount 14

Refrigerator, bottom mount 17

Refrigerator, single door 19

Refrigerator, compact (dorm type) 5

Washing machine, top load 14

Washing machine, front load 11

Dryer 13

Range, electric 17

Range, gas 19

Dishwasher 10

Cooktops 13-20

Air Conditioner (room size) 10

If I think a small appliance isn't working right I replace it. Beside you got a good deal on the new toaster. Donate the old one. Get rid of it. I'm sure he would feel different about the old toaster if he wanted toast and it didn't work that day.

There are some things husbands know nothing about. What goes on in the kitchen is usually one of those things. If you want a new one get it. If he needs a power screw driver does he ask you?

I'm with redhatterb and Ann Parker. If the toaster is only toasting one side of the bread, for example, or burning on any setting beyond the minimum, it's time for a replacement. The last toaster I bought cost $14 at Wal-mart, probably 8+ years ago.

If it's working but not perfectly, it's more convenient to go ahead and buy the new one to have on hand when the inevitable happens. This goes for even larger appliances, provided you have the storage.

And old, reasonably-working appliances, large and small, are best donated. My old bed went to the St Vincents thrift store, as have several other imperfect but working items. Our old fridge would've gone to the homeless shelter's housing program, had not an old friend needed it.

I say keep the new toaster and just put it some place where he maybe won't notice it. When the old one finally gives out make sure it is when he is waiting for his toast. If I buy a small appliance, I always get another if their on sale. Nothing lasts forever, and since I haven't noticed prices going down, this is a smart thing to do. On large appliances I'd wait for a good sale.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 23, 2010
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
Home Appliances
Saving Money on Home Appliances
Small Appliances
Cleaning Small Appliances