Saltine Peanut Butter Fudge

This fast and simple recipe yields tasty peanut butter fudge with a surprising "nut-like crunch" that will confound all who try to guess what it is! It is also very inexpensive to make, because it does not require butter or nuts!

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 5 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
  • 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme
  • 24 saltine crackers, broken into small pieces (but not crushed)

Mix sugar and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Place all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour hot mixture over them and mix thoroughly. Pour into a buttered or sprayed pan (I use 2 pie tins). Let cool in refrigerator. Cut and enjoy! Ask folks to guess what makes the subtle crunch!

Note: I have stirred in a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips just before pressing into the pan, for a nice change. It makes a marbled look and has a flavor similar to a peanut butter cup.

Servings: varies by size cut
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
5 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Tennessee Farm Bureau Members Magazine

By Shawna from Paris, TN

Sounds quick for kids can I melt marshmallows if I do not have marshmallow creme thanks. soon time to feed winter birds. lol

It is very quick! Don't know if melted marshmallows would work, worth a try, though!

Please help. I tried this recipe. It sounded great. I followed it to the letter. It was a horrible mess. Sticky and gooey. Not able to cut it at all. Refrigerating it did not make it firm.

Spoostad, I can't guess what might have gone amiss. I double-checked the recipe and it is typed out the same as I have made it several times. Just troubleshooting; did the sugar and milk come to full boil? I think that, and the cooking of the sugar and milk for 5 full minutes is what makes it set up. Not enough cooking time for these two ingredients is the only thing I can think of that could make it gooey without getting firm. I do keep mine in the fridge after making, because it sets up faster. But it always starts to firm up within minutes. This does make a somewhat "softish" fudge, but it is definitely firm enough to be cuttable when I make it. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I feel guilty that my thrifty recipe caused someone to lose money and food!

Peanut Butter Fudge
Peanut Butter Fudge Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Candies FudgeSeptember 14, 2009
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Saltine Crackers
Recipes Using Saltine Crackers
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Three pieces of peanut butter fudge against a white background
Making Peanut Butter Fudge Using Vanilla Frosting