Will My Husband Remarrying Increase My Child Support

My ex-husband is remarrying. Will his new combined income increase my child support?

Elba from Onalaska, WI

Best Answer

No, I'm a second wife and my husband has been paying child support for years. My income has nothing to do with his child from a previous marriage. Since you and he are the parents you are the only two who's income counts.

Best Answer

I'd look at your divorce paperwork. Each state is different and in some states you would need to go to court to request higher child support. Then it would depend on how it went.

Whether he is remarried or not, may or may not make a difference but as others said, it may depend on only his income, not the family income.

Most men, however, make more and more money as time goes on and the cost of living continues to rise. If your child support agreement was made some years ago, you may be able to get more child support, just because the cost of raising children is more.

Best Answer

Like everyone stated, at least in Colorado, the new wife's income does not play into the support. Just as if you had remarried it won't go down, because your new husband would not be responsible.

Best Answer

I was the second wife, and my late husbands ex-wife and her husband took us back to court, we live in Massachusetts, to have my income added to his income. They wanted more in child support. We, my late husband and I both worked and we also had two children of our own in addition to his two daughters from his first marriage. The court system had us fill out two (2) financial statements, one for him alone, and the other with our combined incomes. Thankfully the court here in Massachusetts only used his income. We were living week to week as it was and any additional child support really would have been a total burden on us.

He was a wonderful father, paid his child support, and never missed a visitation day, which was 2 days a week and they stayed over 1 weekend a month. I love my stepdaughters dearly, but, their mother's income was not even factored at all. In the end we had custody of the older daughter and the child support was not lowered, and my late husband's ex-wife did not have to pay any child support for the daughter we gained custody of. This all happened back in 1986, I'm not sure what the standards in Massachusetts are today.

I'm not sure about your state but here in NC, they only go by your ex's income. They can't touch her's. My ex married a wealthy woman and doesn't work anymore so his support stays at what it was when he was working and making $8 an hour. Its not right but its the law.

The State of Wisconsin website has lots of info on lots of stuff. For child support info, try http://www.wsll  hildsupport.html . It's a link to the Wisconsin State Law Library, and it's user-friendly.

No, her income is not figured in and in fact, you could get less CS should they have children together. If they have a child, the amount your xh "owes" in support to that child is subtracted from his gross income. It is whatever the state guideline for one child is (or however many they might have). THEN what is left is used to determine how much he pays for the children the two of you had together.

In Kentucky, the first born child gets, I hate to say it this way, but 'first dibs'. My X had a son with his 1st wife, and when it came time to figure her CS, it was based on his full income. When they figured mine, it was his income MINUS the amount he pays for CS on child #1. In the end, she receives $140 for one, and I receive $105 for two. No, doesn't seem right, but that's the law.

My question is: My current boyfriend owes back support, so after marriage will cs take my income taxes? Michigan

I am the second wife, my husband have two kids from 1st wife and now we also have two kids of our own. Can his support be lowered?

My husband and I live in Maryland and he's stuck paying his ex $1500 a month for their two kids. Mind you we don't have $1500 and his kids live with us. My question is could we receive child support from the mother even though he's remarried.

It depends on your State laws and the Custodial mom has to apply to Court for an increase. The people who are saying 'no' are misinformed. It varies from State to State. My advice to 2nd wives is to keep your finances separate from your husband's. If you file joint Tax returns be aware that your information will show if and when Family Court asks for a copy of your husband's Tax statement. If the case is in a State that includes the 2nd wife's income when determining ability to pay - a joint tax filing can cause his ordered support to increase.

In States that include the second wife's income/assets be careful about adding his name to property of yours. Don't buy property together jointly until your support case is no longer active. Keep your finances separate. NY State went after my assets when I paid my fiance's child support after his heart attack. My advice and concern is for second wives and partners. The Ex wives need no help. They have government paid free attorneys and biased laws on their side. Keep your finances totally separate, even if it means loosing some tax deductions.

When my husband filled out his child support package they were only concerned about what he made, bills, if his daughter ever stayed with him, and if he had other children that lived in the direct home with him. We didn't find out for sure if his daughter really was his daughter until after we got married. The girl had told him that it was a good chance that he wasn't the father and refused to do a DNA test until we got married. I just don't think that I should have to pay for a child that isn't mine, especially when we have three together. Now he should pay, it's his responsibility. I don't mind buying the little girl things, but for me and my income, my children come first.

Budget & Finance AdviceMarch 23, 2007
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
child support paperwork
Are Siblings Accountable for Back Child Support?
Child Support Money
Paying Child Support
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 4:53:30 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.