Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Is Bicarbonate of Soda a Substitute For Borax?

0EmailPrintFollowSave

Can somebody tell me if I can substitute bicarbonate of soda (easily available here) instead of borax (non-existent here) when I make up my own homemade washing powder?

I'm using plain soap (grated) and washing soda as my ingredients but I feel I need a bit more boosting to the mix. Something to brighten and whiten clothes would help but i don't know what to add. any suggestions please?

P.S. I use vinegar as a fabric softener in my final rinse, too.

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Marty Dick 166 965 09/24/2007 Flag

You can also buy super washing soda for your laundry. just google it. It's available online if you can't find it at your local super market.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By janbou (Guest Post) 09/24/2007 Flag

It depends what you are wanting to use the Borax for ---- 'bi carb' aka "baking soda" and/or washing soda are similar for softening hard water and thus allowing detergents to work better at cleaning clothes however Borax is a fabric 'friendly' bleach alternative - in Canada we have a product which promotes as the 'bleach for unbleachables' usually used on colored fabrics or those which bleach can harm! Sunlight itself also is a wonderful 'bleach alternative' you might try it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cettina 78 392 09/25/2007 Flag

from wat i can gather, best substitute for borax is clothes bleach. i can get that here so it wont be a problem to substitute. tks for all the suggestions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By suzin (Guest Post) 09/26/2007 Flag

No, it is not the same...Borax contains sodium tetraborate decahydrate.....(I copied it off the Box I have)....I found a 800 telephone number you can call to ask questions about it....perhaps you can call that number and find out where you can get it in your area.....Tele. #...1-800-457-8739

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol in PA (Guest Post) 09/27/2007 Flag

Borax is a brand name for washing soda which you referred to in your post.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Allison 21 158 11/01/2007 Flag

I'm pretty sure bicarbonate of soda is baking soda. I wouldn't use it if you are also using vinegar-- the chemical reaction might create a foamy mess.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By stinkeyfeet 1 11/15/2010 Flag

I had difficulty finding borax in the UK. Turns out they stopped making it in the summer and have now released a new thing called borax substitute. If you google it you should be able to buy it online. Hope that helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes