Using Baking Soda for Odors

When I worked in construction, it was necessary for me to wear high top, steel toed, tightly laced boots. With no air circulation around the feet, a perfect breeding ground for bacteria was created. I found an effective remedy.

We all know baking soda is an excellent deodorant and 'sweetener'. I even use it to eliminate any odor in empty gallon milk jugs I plan to use for other purposes. Bleach will do the same but it leaves a lingering chlorine scent.

I found that baking soda is as effective and as cheap a foot deodorant as one can use. I kept a salt shaker filled with soda where I dressed. A light sprinkle in my shoes each morning prevented any odor on my feet or in my shoes.

Baking soda will absolutely stop and prevent foot odor. There is a down side though. If too much is used, it will cause profuse sweating of the feet. When my feet were squishing in my shoes, I decided I should use a bit less.

Now, I use the soda a little differently and it still works great. Rather than the sprinkling ritual every morning, I simply add baking soda to the final rinse water when I wash my socks. I don't measure, but a teaspoon per gallon of water sounds about right. If you're a lady who doesn't wear socks, a very light, daily sprinkling in the shoes might be the best method for you.

This works so well, I add soda to the final rinse water when washing shirts I will be wearing while gardening all day in hot sun. I prefer this over body powders. For me, no smell is better than smelling like a baby or somebody's maiden aunt.

More Solutions

Want to keep your whole house smelling sweet, especially closets, bathrooms, garage, laundry room, etc.? I keep approximately one half cup of baking soda in a container.

4 Questions

How can I use baking soda to get rid of milk odors in my car?

Meryem from Nevsehir, Turkey

Answers

If it's in the carpet or upholstery cover the area with baking soda(it takes quite a bit) and let sit overnight. Vacuum the next day. If the smell is throughout your car put an open bag of charcoal in your car/trunk for several days. Good luck, I know from experience what a sickening odor that is!

I had a gallon of milk (all of it) spill on the carpet of my car. I tried everything to get the odor out. Finally i remembered that white vinegar will remove just about any protein odor. I emptied a 1/2 gallon of the vinegar onto the carpet (I was desperate...it was summer) swished it around a bit, rolled down all the car windows and waited. The next day...no odor! and the carpet was dry by that evening.

Answer this Question

Is cleaning with a baking soda and water combination to prevent odor a proven method?

By Jeffrey

Answers

Baking soda is a good deodorizer. It works well in fridges and in many other places. It is not foolproof, and may not work on horrible odors like sour milk in a car left in the sun. Or rotten fish. But it is a good place to start. What are you cleaning?

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 17, 2012
🎃
😷
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Baking-Soda-for-Odors.html