Transplanting Amaryllis

The house I moved into, on the mid west coast of FL had amaryllis already planted there. None bloomed last year, but this year I have lots of them blooming now (Apr. 2010) and want to transplant some to another spot in the yard and possibly bring one in the house without destroying the others that are there. When is the best time of year to do this and how do I do this? I don't want to lose these precious flowers. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Willow from Largo, FL

Answers

Fall is an ideal time to divide (or transplant bareroot) crowded amaryllises. Bulbs with a ball of soil intact around the roots may be moved any time. If the bulbs must be cleaned and moved without soil, wrap the roots in wet newspaper to prevent drying and transplant shock. Plant them within two weeks. Good luck.

Amaryllis
Transplanting Amaryllis
Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingApril 17, 2010
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Growing Amaryllis, Red amaryllis blooms.
Growing Amaryllis
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎄